How to find electric field given points of electric potentia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Erwin Derek
I have what at first seems like a very simple problem, yet I have no clue how to solve it.

There is 1 point defined to have 0V, and another point has exactly 1V. Assume there is nothing else in the universe.

https://i.imgur.com/iv9oL5j.png

How do I find the electric potential and field at any other point, assuming all I know is the coordinates of these two points?

Would this require delta function / laplace equation or something?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Erwin Derek said:
Assume there is nothing else in the universe.
Do you mean to assume that there are no charges anywhere in the universe? I am not sure that there is a solution to Maxwell's equations that fits your requirements here