How to find equivalent circuits

In summary: The benefit being now you can quickly find current and other information for different loads. The problem is you lose any information if needed about individual resistors. It has been a while so I need to look again at why you use short circuit method, I know you are replacing the load resistor with a current source, typically 1 amp and use it to find something.The benefit being now you can quickly find current and other information for different loads. The problem is you lose any information if needed about individual resistors. It has been a while so I need to look again at why you use short circuit method, I know you are replacing the load resistor with a current source, typically 1 amp and use it to find something.
Puglife
Hi, I need to learn how to find equivalent circuits using what my textbook calls open circuit and short circuit methods.

Thank you all for you support

Engineering news on Phys.org
Puglife said:
Hi, I need to learn how to find equivalent circuits using what my textbook calls open circuit and short circuit methods.

Thank you all for you support
Then I suggest you study your textbook and learn exactly that. If you have specific questions, then ask.

That wasn't that helpful of an answer, their is a reason I am asking a physics forum on electrical engineering instead of either googling it or using what little my textbook had on it. If you want a more direct question it is this, how do you set up, and solve a equivalent circuit using an open and closed circuit model?

Puglife said:
That wasn't that helpful of an answer, their is a reason I am asking a physics forum on electrical engineering instead of either googling it or using what little my textbook had on it. If you want a more direct question it is this, how do you set up, and solve a equivalent circuit using an open and closed circuit model?
Draw any particular circuit for which you would like such a solution and then attempt to solve it and then if/when you get stuck post the circuit and what you have tried so far.

All I know how to do for equivalent circuits is how to use the parallel and series resistive equations, that does to my understanding get the equivalent circuit, what I want to know, is how to even begin doing it with the short and open circuit methods, and now, why would I use those methods over just series and parallel resistor rules.

Thanks, your response time is amazing

Puglife said:
All I know how to do for equivalent circuits is how to use the parallel and series resistive equations, that does to my understanding get the equivalent circuit, what I want to know, is how to even begin doing it with the short and open circuit methods, and now, why would I use those methods over just series and parallel resistor rules.

Thanks, your response time is amazing
I want to help you on this but I'm just not clear what you are asking. What is your understanding of, say "the open circuit method" and how it is different from just doing computing the equivalent resistances?

phinds said:
I want to help you on this but I'm just not clear what you are asking. What is your understanding of, say "the open circuit method" and how it is different from just doing computing the equivalent resistances?
i do not know the difference between the two, or really what the open circuit method is. I know how to find equivalent resistance using parallel and series equations, but my textbook keeps referring to a open circuit method that they did not talk about. I don't know how to even start doing it, or what it really is.

Can you scan a paragraph out of the book where they are discussing it?

phinds said:
Can you scan a paragraph out of the book where they are discussing it?
unfortunately, I do not own a scanner, or a camera, so that would be kind of difficult. I am living on an extremely low budget right now. but is their a method for solving the thevanine equivalent circuits using open or closed circuits?

It's helpful to find equivalent circuits because you can narrow a circuit with many resistors and a source to just one source and one resistor. The only thing you are doing with open circuit is removing the load resistor, for circuits 1 it's typically the resistor on the far right, or on the other side of the source.After removing the load you look into the circuit from that end and perform all your parallel and series transformations until you get down to one equivalent resistor and the source. The benefit being now you can quickly find current and other information for different loads. The problem is you lose any information if needed about individual resistors. It has been a while so I need to look again at why you use short circuit method, I know you are replacing the load resistor with a current source, typically 1 amp and use it to find something.

mathwhiz said:
It's helpful to find equivalent circuits because you can narrow a circuit with many resistors and a source to just one source and one resistor. The only thing you are doing with open circuit is removing the load resistor, for circuits 1 it's typically the resistor on the far right, or on the other side of the source.After removing the load you look into the circuit from that end and perform all your parallel and series transformations until you get down to one equivalent resistor and the source. The benefit being now you can quickly find current and other information for different loads. The problem is you lose any information if needed about individual resistors. It has been a while so I need to look again at why you use short circuit method, I know you are replacing the load resistor with a current source, typically 1 amp and use it to find something.

Is their any way you can supply sample equations for short circuit and open circuit methods, I am just starting out, and It would really be helpful to me.

Thank you guys so much for all of your help

Puglife said:
Is their any way you can supply sample equations for short circuit and open circuit methods, I am just starting out, and It would really be helpful to me.

Thank you guys so much for all of your help
Just google "Thevenin equivalent circuit" and "Norton equivalent circuit". There are plenty of explanations and examples on the internet.

Likes mathwhiz
I think what Puglife is referring to is the source superposition method or the circuit superposition theorem. I had that topic during the electrical circuits analysis a year ago so I can't recall much
(shame on me). What I remember is that in order to obtain an equivalent circuit, voltage sources are replaced with open circuits and current sources are replaced with short circuits.

Norton and Thèvenin theorems came up later in the course and they both have similarity with the superposition method.
I've read another post of yours and my guess is that your book is not really helpful. Try introduction to circuit analysis from Boylestad and Nashelsky. This book covers both voltage dividers and equivalent circuit theorems.
Good luck bro.

1. How do I find the equivalent resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is simply the sum of all individual resistances. This can be calculated by adding the resistance values of each component in the circuit.

2. What is the equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is calculated using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the resistance values of each component. The reciprocal of this sum gives the equivalent resistance.

3. How do I find the equivalent capacitance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the equivalent capacitance is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitance. This can be calculated using the formula 1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ..., where C1, C2, C3, etc. are the capacitance values of each component.

4. What is the equivalent capacitance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the equivalent capacitance is simply the sum of all individual capacitances. This can be calculated by adding the capacitance values of each component.

5. How do I find the equivalent resistance in a circuit with both series and parallel components?

In a circuit with both series and parallel components, you can use a combination of the above methods. First, calculate the equivalent resistance of all the components in parallel. Then, use this equivalent resistance in place of the parallel components in the series circuit and calculate the equivalent resistance using the first method mentioned above.