How to find power and voltage using the mesh current method?

In summary, the speaker is practicing for a test and is unsure if their answers are correct without the correct answers. They share a circuit problem and ask for help, but the post is deleted due to not following the correct format. The speaker later shares their work and asks a question about finding the voltage for a current source.
stipan_relix
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
Hi. I am practising for my test and since I don't have the correct answers, I don't know if what I'm doing is right.

I tried to solve this problem, can you check it and correct if it's wrong?
unUAKCg.png

Here's a clearer picture of the circuit.
aYSEOEy.png

I suspect Uab isn't right, but am not sure. Thanks!

EDIT: My work picture link was wrong, sorry.

Attachments

• aYSEOEy.png
    aYSEOEy.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 566
  • unUAKCg.png
    unUAKCg.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for posting in homework, but you deleted the template. Most important, you didn't show us your work. Our rules do not allow helpers to help until you show your attempt at solution first. In other words, we don't do the problem for you. We help you to solve it.

anorlunda said:
Thanks for posting in homework, but you deleted the template. Most important, you didn't show us your work. Our rules do not allow helpers to help until you show your attempt at solution first. In other words, we don't do the problem for you. We help you to solve it.
Sorry, the link showing my work was somehow private, I fixed it.

Likes berkeman
Your results look good.

Likes stipan_relix
Alright, if I wanted to get P for the current source, I'd have to first get the voltage for that current source, there's no way around that, right?

stipan_relix said:
Alright, if I wanted to get P for the current source, I'd have to first get the voltage for that current source, there's no way around that, right?
Well, no way that's any simpler.

Likes stipan_relix

What is the mesh current method?

The mesh current method is a technique used to analyze electrical circuits and calculate the voltage and power in each component. It involves creating a loop for each mesh (closed path) in the circuit and using Kirchhoff's voltage law to determine the voltage drop across each component in the loop.

How do I find the mesh currents?

To find the mesh currents, you need to assign a direction to each loop and label the current in each loop. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's current law at each node to write equations for the currents. These equations can be solved simultaneously to find the mesh currents.

What is the formula for calculating power using the mesh current method?

The formula for calculating power using the mesh current method is P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. This formula is based on Ohm's law, which states that power is equal to the product of voltage and current.

Can the mesh current method be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, the mesh current method can be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources. The voltage sources can be included in the equations used to find the mesh currents. It is important to make sure that the direction of the current in each loop is consistent with the polarity of the voltage source.

Are there any limitations to using the mesh current method?

While the mesh current method is a useful technique for analyzing circuits, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for planar circuits (circuits that can be drawn on a flat surface without any crossing wires) and it may become complicated for circuits with a large number of components. In these cases, other methods such as the nodal analysis may be more suitable.