How to find the integral with only a graph given

In summary, the conversation discusses how to graph an integral and how to estimate the value of a function at a specific point. The individual is unsure of how to solve the problem and asks for help with finding the integral from the graph. They also discuss the geometric representation of the integral and the calculation of area, specifically in the case of triangles. Finally, they suggest fitting analytic functions to the original function and integrating analytically.
Sneakatone
how do you graph an integral?

(a) Evaluate g(x) for x = 0, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, and 24.(b) Estimate g(28). (Use the midpoint to get the most precise estimate.
since there's no equation give I don't know how to integrate the function.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-03-09 at 3.22.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-03-09 at 3.22.41 PM.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 2,392
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you think g(4)=4? If you're just guessing, you need to go back and study some more before even attempting the problem.

is the a way you can help me find the integral from just the graph?

What does this integral represent geometrically?

the area , in this case most of them are triangles

Do you know how to calculate the area of a triangle?

Sneakatone said:
the area , in this case most of them are triangles
What is the area of each small rectangle on the graph ?

You can fit analytic functions piecewise to f(t), and then integrate analytically. The variation, for the most part, is linear in the various sections.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function or the total change in a quantity over a given interval.

2. Why is it important to find the integral?

Integrals are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to calculate important quantities such as distance, velocity, and acceleration. They also help us to solve real-world problems by finding the total change in a quantity over a given time or distance.

3. How can I find the integral with only a graph given?

To find the integral with only a graph, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on the graph. You can also approximate the integral by dividing the area under the curve into smaller shapes, such as rectangles or trapezoids, and adding them together.

4. Can I find the integral of any function with only a graph given?

Yes, you can find the integral of any continuous function with only a graph given. However, it may be more difficult to find the exact value of the integral without knowing the function's equation.

5. Are there any online tools or resources to help me find the integral with only a graph given?

Yes, there are many online integral calculators and graphing tools that can help you find the integral with only a graph given. Some popular options include Wolfram Alpha, Desmos, and Symbolab. These tools can also show you step-by-step solutions to help you understand the process.