How to find vectors and bisectors of an electric field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
SirChris93
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
<Moderator's note: User has been warned not to remove the template, and upload images instead of linking to an external site.>

I'm very lost here, I don't know where to begin. My instructor is little help, the notes he gives are not even useful, and I cannot find anything in the book.We were given 4 graphs about electric charges that we need to find the vectors on and one of them include drawing a bisector. If I can get pointed in the right direction with at least the first segment, I'm sure I would be fine with the others.What the assignment says:

Segment A:

https://imgur.com/a/PHS2H

1) Neatly draw the bisector of the arc on the diagram2) Neatly draw the vector along the bisector that represents the Electric Field produced by the arcSegment B:

https://imgur.com/a/W390A
1)Neatly sketch the vector that represents the EF produced by segment B.

Attempt at solution:

For part A, I’m pretty sure the bisector would go through quadrant 2 and 3, but I’m not sure.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Please post in introductory and use the template.

And I hate imgur flashing around on my screen. Just copy/paste the images in your post (or upload them).
SirChris93 said:
What the assignment says:
Does it say anything else ? Like: there is a charge ?
 
'Bisector of the arc' is pretty clear. Why do you think quadrant 2 and 3 (in which notation is that ?) ?
 
BvU said:
'Bisector of the arc' is pretty clear. Why do you think quadrant 2 and 3 (in which notation is that ?) ?

Because, it looks like it is going in the negative direction.
 
The arc has an opening in a particular quadrant. So the bisector will have to divide the arc and the opening into equal pieces...
 
By the way, in my book quadrant 2 and 3 are the half-plane x < 0
 
BvU said:
By the way, in my book quadrant 2 and 3 are the half-plane x < 0
Then would the bisector be opposite?
 
Opposite with respect to what, exactly ?
 
SirChris93 said:
Then would the bisector be opposite?
Opposite of what I though.

So I think the vectors would be in those two quadrants, but the bisector would be in Q1
 
SirChris93 said:
Opposite of what I though.
General rule: Don't let us guess what you think. Type it out.

SirChris93 said:
the bisector would be in Q1
Not the complete answer.
SirChris93 said:
bisector of the arc
the entire arc, that is.

Can you please post the Complete problem statement ?