How to generate high freqnecy (electromagnetic)

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of generating high frequencies, specifically in the MHz range. The use of magnetic fields to manipulate electric fields and oscillate electrons is mentioned, as well as the possibility of using a device in a circuit to achieve this. The conversation also touches on the use of capacitors in oscillator circuits and the availability of GHz and THz sources.
atom888
Hi all,

This is frustrating. I've searched all over the net for how one can generate high freqency, maybe a few Mhz. The most I could get is using the magnetic field which in turn manipulate the electric field to oscillate the electron. Well, that would result in million of cycle per second. How can we do that? I suppose through a device in a circuit (maybe a switch that could open/shut at millions of times per second). Please give me some insight information if you're a pro in this area. Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you're talking about a radio transmitter. Look at what capacitors do in oscillator circuits.

atom888 said:
Hi all,

This is frustrating. I've searched all over the net for how one can generate high freqency, maybe a few Mhz. The most I could get is using the magnetic field which in turn manipulate the electric field to oscillate the electron. Well, that would result in million of cycle per second. How can we do that? I suppose through a device in a circuit (maybe a switch that could open/shut at millions of times per second). Please give me some insight information if you're a pro in this area. Thx

Well, first of all, "a few MHz" isn't that high. There are plenty of GHz sources already, and people are starting to also generate THz source.

Secondly, most MHz sources (such as radio stations) use quartz oscillators to generate such frequency range. It then gets amplified.

Zz.

1. How does electromagnetic radiation generate high frequency?

Electromagnetic radiation is generated when an electric charge accelerates. The frequency of the radiation is determined by the rate at which the charge accelerates. Therefore, to generate high frequency electromagnetic radiation, the electric charge must accelerate at a high rate.

2. What types of devices can generate high frequency electromagnetic radiation?

There are various devices that can generate high frequency electromagnetic radiation, such as radio transmitters, microwave ovens, X-ray machines, and laser devices. These devices use different methods to accelerate electric charges and produce high frequency radiation.

3. How can I increase the frequency of electromagnetic radiation?

To increase the frequency of electromagnetic radiation, you can increase the rate of acceleration of the electric charge. This can be done by increasing the voltage or using a more efficient accelerating mechanism. You can also use a device called a frequency multiplier, which takes a lower frequency signal and produces a higher frequency output.

4. What are the applications of high frequency electromagnetic radiation?

High frequency electromagnetic radiation has various applications in different industries. It is used in communication systems, medical imaging, heating and cooking, and scientific research. It is also used in industrial processes such as welding and sterilization.

5. Are there any potential health risks associated with high frequency electromagnetic radiation?

Exposure to high frequency electromagnetic radiation can have potential health risks, such as tissue damage and increased risk of cancer. However, the level of risk depends on the intensity and duration of exposure. Safety regulations and guidelines are in place to limit exposure to high frequency radiation in various industries and environments.