Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to generate high freqnecy (electromagnetic)

1. Jun 14, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

This is frustrating. I've searched all over the net for how one can generate high freqency, maybe a few Mhz. The most I could get is using the magnetic field which in turn manipulate the electric field to oscillate the electron. Well, that would result in million of cycle per second. How can we do that? I suppose through a device in a circuit (maybe a switch that could open/shut at millions of times per second). Please give me some insight information if you're a pro in this area. Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2008 #2
    I believe you're talking about a radio transmitter. Look at what capacitors do in oscillator circuits.

4. Jun 19, 2008 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, first of all, "a few MHz" isn't that high. There are plenty of GHz sources already, and people are starting to also generate THz source.

Secondly, most MHz sources (such as radio stations) use quartz oscillators to generate such frequency range. It then gets amplified.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?