Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get a CAD drawing machined?

1. Sep 8, 2016 #1
    Hi. I am trying to figure out how to get a stator and rotor manufactured for a motor I am building as a learning project. Anyone have any clue how I can get a stator manufactured from a cad drawing with electrical steel ?

Everything I see on the net is for large orders sigh. I have never done this before so I figured id ask for help. Am I going to have to make the stator myself or is it easy to find someone to machine it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

the normal process to make the laminations is punching but tooling costs for punching are high. For a very short run profile cutting is probably cheaper, call around your local firms that do plasma/waterjet/laser cutting and get some quotes. Generally you just need to provide a dxf. You may have to source the steel yourself as they probably won't stock it.

4. Sep 8, 2016 #3
  5. Sep 9, 2016 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just contact a local machine shop and ask for a quote. You'll need to know what sort of tolerance you need and what materials and finish you want.

6. Sep 9, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@fahraynk - I regularly get small parts laser cut which are so accurate for size that they need no further machining .

Which country are you in ?

7. Sep 12, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted