1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get a CAD drawing machined?

1. Sep 8, 2016 #1
    Hi. I am trying to figure out how to get a stator and rotor manufactured for a motor I am building as a learning project. Anyone have any clue how I can get a stator manufactured from a cad drawing with electrical steel ?

Everything I see on the net is for large orders sigh. I have never done this before so I figured id ask for help. Am I going to have to make the stator myself or is it easy to find someone to machine it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

the normal process to make the laminations is punching but tooling costs for punching are high. For a very short run profile cutting is probably cheaper, call around your local firms that do plasma/waterjet/laser cutting and get some quotes. Generally you just need to provide a dxf. You may have to source the steel yourself as they probably won't stock it.

4. Sep 8, 2016 #3
  5. Sep 9, 2016 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just contact a local machine shop and ask for a quote. You'll need to know what sort of tolerance you need and what materials and finish you want.

6. Sep 9, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@fahraynk - I regularly get small parts laser cut which are so accurate for size that they need no further machining .

Which country are you in ?

7. Sep 12, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted