How to get a pwm output for a 35 V, 0.35 A dc input signal?

In summary: Try a search on "35 volt Buck Converter " and you'll find "plug in and go" modules or on "LED Driver Module" ..
Shuvam Agarwal
I am doing a project where I need to control brightness of a led light. according to presence. the brightness can be controlled using pwm but I cannot find a way to do that for high voltage input signals.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you asking how to convert 0-35V into something like 0-5V ?

Google "Potential Divider"

Shuvam Agarwal said:
I am doing a project where I need to control brightness of a led light. according to presence. the brightness can be controlled using pwm but I cannot find a way to do that for high voltage input signals.

Welcome to the PF.

Can you link to the datasheet of the LED light fixture that you are wanting to use? What do you have for a power source that you want to use for the PWM circuit? Will you be doing a high-side drive or a low-side drive of the LED light with your PWM signal?

Likes jim hardy
Good questions Berkeman. A problem well stated is half solved.

Shuvam Agarwal said:

Well you really haven't asked a question for anybody to answer.
Are you asking for a pointer to instructions or for a parts suggestion ?

Try a search on "35 volt Buck Converter " and you'll find "plug in and go" modules
or on "LED Driver Module" ..We learn best by doing.
A good way to learn about PWM is to build one.

I'd suggest TL494, it's been around for decades and the datasheet is a "How To" tutorial with examples.
Being so old it still comes in a DIP package that an amateur can solder or plug into his breadboard.
It's rated for input up to 40 volts.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl494.pdf
and
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva001e/slva001e.pdf
If you really need 3.5 amps you'll have to add current drivers to output. See fig 10.2 of datasheet.

old jim

CWatters said:
Are you asking how to convert 0-35V into something like 0-5V ?

Google "Potential Divider"

No it is a completely different thing that is ask for.
Google "Pulse Width Modulation"

Shuvam Agarwal said:
I need to control brightness of a led light. according to presence.
There are many different types of LED lights. We need to know exactly what type(s) you are using.
We understand PWM.
What do you mean by “presence”? How is that signal received?
Where does power for the light come from?

Baluncore said:
There are many different types of LED lights. We need to know exactly what type(s) you are using.
We understand PWM.
What do you mean by “presence”? How is that signal received?

The driver circuit of the led light I am currently working on gives a dc output of 35V/0.35A. This goes to light the led's. I want to perform pulse width modulation in between these two steps. So I need some circuitry that can take an input of 35v/0.35A and perform PWM on it which then goes to light the led's at a lower brightness.

Shuvam Agarwal said:
The driver circuit of the led light I am currently working on gives a dc output of 35V/0.35A. This goes to light the led's. I want to perform pulse width modulation in between these two steps. So I need some circuitry that can take an input of 35v/0.35A and perform PWM on it which then goes to light the led's at a lower brightness.

The led's are simple white led's used in any led lamp.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Can you link to the datasheet of the LED light fixture that you are wanting to use? What do you have for a power source that you want to use for the PWM circuit? Will you be doing a high-side drive or a low-side drive of the LED light with your PWM signal?

Hi,
The driver circuit of the led light I am currently working on gives a dc output of 35V/0.35A. This goes to light the led's. I want to perform pulse width modulation in between these two steps. So I need some circuitry that can take an input of 35v/0.35A and perform PWM on it which then goes to light the led's at a lower brightness. I can use another 5V as a power supply but I need pwm signal for the 35V signal. I have been stuck on this step for quite some time now. Can you suggest a way to do this?

You have a 35 V DC supply and you want to use this to drive LED's .

Just using basic PWM will not solve this problem . Without additional circuitry the LED's could still see 35V peaks and fail rapidly .

Whatever you use has to drop the output voltage to a safe level for the LED's .

There are many ready made modules and many published circuits .

Last edited:
What is the number and arrangement of the LED's ?

here's another guess
http://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers/dynaohm-dc-resistor-power-module

When you refuse to give enough information for anybody to help you, nobody can help you .

Nidum Baluncore and Berkeman all tried to help you formulate your question so it would be answerable .

There's an old saying, "When the student is ready a teacher will appear. "
I suggest you come back when you're ready.

We need to know if the existing driver is a constant current source or a constant voltage source?

You imply constant voltage but are you sure because raw LEDs normally need constant current.

Shuvam Agarwal said:
Hi,
The driver circuit of the led light I am currently working on gives a dc output of 35V/0.35A. This goes to light the led's. I want to perform pulse width modulation in between these two steps. So I need some circuitry that can take an input of 35v/0.35A and perform PWM on it which then goes to light the led's at a lower brightness. I can use another 5V as a power supply but I need pwm signal for the 35V signal. I have been stuck on this step for quite some time now. Can you suggest a way to do this?
In addition to the other issues that folks are pointing out in their replies, you may not be able to just put a PWM switch between this power supply and your load. If this power supply is a switching power supply, then in general you cannot be switching its load on and off at high frequency. This can cause instabilities in the control loop of the switched mode power supply, which can cause it to go unstable and overvoltage its output.

If the source power supply is a linear supply, then you would generally be able to put a PWM switch circuit between its output and the load.

Likes CWatters
CWatters said:
We need to know if the existing driver is a constant current source or a constant voltage source?

You imply constant voltage but are you sure because raw LEDs normally need constant current.
The driver circuit is a constant current source.

Nidum said:
You have a 35 V DC supply and you want to use this to drive LED's .

Just using basic PWM will not solve this problem . Without additional circuitry the LED's could still see 35V peaks and fail rapidly .

Whatever you use has to drop the output voltage to a safe level for the LED's .

There are many ready made modules and many published circuits .

My power supply is a 220V AC supply. The driver circuit for the led arrangement gives an output of 35 V and 0.35 A which goes into the led lights. I need to insert a pwm circuitry to the dc output of the driver circuit so that the brightness can be reduced. The led's are already working at maximum brightness at that voltage and current. First the 220V AC is converted into 35V/0.35A dc by the driver circuit(It is a 12W led light). The I need to insert a pwm circuit after the driver to reduce the brightness. All I need to know is how can we do pwm for a higher voltage. I have done the same thing earlier for a smaller arrangement with 5 led's which required only around 5 V using the 555 timer ic. But I cannot find a way to do wpm for a higher voltage.

berkeman said:
In addition to the other issues that folks are pointing out in their replies, you may not be able to just put a PWM switch between this power supply and your load. If this power supply is a switching power supply, then in general you cannot be switching its load on and off at high frequency. This can cause instabilities in the control loop of the switched mode power supply, which can cause it to go unstable and overvoltage its output.

If the source power supply is a linear supply, then you would generally be able to put a PWM switch circuit between its output and the load.
Yes I do get a linear power output from the driver circuit which already exists.

You have an arrangement of a large number of LED's daisy chained so that when your 35V is applied at the ends of the chain the individual LED's turn on to maximum brightness .

A PWM driver is needed to control the brightness of the LED's .

So you need to generate timing pulses and use these pulses to turn your 35V LED supply ON and OFF in a controlled way .

Basically a simple timing circuit and a power switching output stage .

There are ready to run commercially made controller units available which will do what you want . They are relatively low cost .

At least one third party supporter of Arduino offers a complete PWM driver system . Again relatively low cost .

If you want to design and build the nescessary circuits yourself then please get back to us .

1. How do I calculate the duty cycle for a 35 V, 0.35 A dc input signal?

The duty cycle for a PWM signal is calculated by dividing the pulse width (ON time) by the total period (ON time + OFF time). To determine the pulse width, you can use the formula: pulse width = (desired output voltage / input voltage) * period. In this case, the period would be 1/frequency of the PWM signal.

2. Can I use a microcontroller to generate a PWM output for a 35 V, 0.35 A dc input signal?

Yes, a microcontroller can be programmed to generate a PWM signal with the desired duty cycle and frequency. You would need to connect the microcontroller to a power source that can provide the necessary voltage and current for your load.

3. What is the maximum frequency I can use for a 35 V, 0.35 A dc input signal?

The maximum frequency for a PWM signal is limited by the capabilities of your power source and the load. It is recommended to keep the frequency below 20 kHz for most applications. However, you can use higher frequencies if your components can handle it.

4. Can I use a MOSFET to control the PWM output for a 35 V, 0.35 A dc input signal?

Yes, a MOSFET (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor) can be used to switch the PWM signal on and off. This allows for more precise control of the output voltage and current. Make sure to choose a MOSFET with suitable voltage and current ratings for your application.

5. How do I protect my circuit when using a PWM output for a 35 V, 0.35 A dc input signal?

You can protect your circuit by using appropriate components such as diodes and capacitors to filter out any unwanted spikes or oscillations. It is also important to use components with suitable voltage and current ratings to prevent them from being damaged. Additionally, you can use a current limiting circuit to prevent excessive current from flowing through your circuit.