How Can I Land an EE/CE Internship and Develop Marketable Skills on a Budget?

• Thread starter jgordo32
  • Start date
In summary, if you are deciding between Computer Engineering and Computer Science, it may be helpful to identify which specific field within EE/CE interests you. Companies often have multiple positions available, so you can apply for a more computer engineering-focused internship or an electrical engineering-focused one. To improve your skills, consider enrolling in project courses and completing independent projects, such as building an MP3 player or an ultrasonic rangefinder.
jgordo32
Hey, so I'm currently trying to decide on a career path between Computer Engineering and Computer Science. I just finished a summer internship in CS and thought it was pretty cool. Next summer I'd like to get an internship in Computer Engineering. Problem is... I have no idea how to get hired in EE/CE.

I've seen lots of guides for CS interviews etc. In addition to having a good gpa and being personable, they all tell you to learn algorithms, design patterns, and other marketable skills. What are some of those marketable skills that I can practice for cheap (I'm still a student) on my own in the EE field?

For example, this summer I built a beer pong table that had some LEDs in it. That gave me some experience with really basic circuitry. I'm looking for more stuff like that thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
First of all you should identify a field of EE/CE that excites you. Are you looking for more computer engineering oriented internship where you will get to work on CPUs, graphics cards, FPGAs , etc. or are you looking for more electrical engineering side where you can do analog design, signal processing , etc. Either way you are in luck. Hardware companies usually have multiple spots open for different positions. A very good example would be nVidia. You can apply as ASIC engineer , where you will get to play around with ASICs( you will probably be put in Test as an intern) or apply as analog designer.

For the second part of your question , it will definitely help if you get some hands on experience at school. Easiest way to get started is to enroll in project courses. That way you will get some guidance from your teachers and students , and will be prepared to tackle independent projects in the future. For example, to learn more about microprocessors you can build an MP3 player, or a VOIP phone. A good analog project would be an ultrasonic rangefinder.

1. How can I stand out in the job market as an EE/CE?

As an EE/CE, you can stand out in the job market by showcasing your technical skills and expertise through projects, internships, and relevant coursework. Networking with professionals in the field and highlighting your passion for the industry can also make you a more attractive candidate.

2. What skills do employers look for in EE/CE candidates?

Employers typically look for candidates with strong problem-solving skills, proficiency in programming languages, knowledge of circuit design and analysis, and familiarity with relevant software and tools. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in a collaborative engineering environment.

3. How important is work experience in the hiring process for EE/CE jobs?

Work experience is highly valued by employers in the EE/CE field. Internships, co-ops, and relevant part-time jobs can provide valuable hands-on experience and make you a more competitive candidate. Even personal projects and research experience can demonstrate your skills and dedication to the field.

4. What can I expect in an EE/CE job interview?

In an EE/CE job interview, you can expect to be asked technical questions related to your field of expertise, as well as behavioral and problem-solving questions. Prepare by reviewing fundamental concepts and practicing with sample interview questions. You may also be asked to provide examples of your previous work or walk through a project you have completed.

5. How can I negotiate a better salary as an EE/CE?

To negotiate a better salary as an EE/CE, research the average salary for your position in your area and come prepared with evidence of your skills, experience, and value to the company. Consider negotiating for additional benefits or opportunities for growth as well. It is also important to maintain a professional and respectful attitude during the negotiation process.