How Can I Improve My Chances of Landing an Astrophysics Internship?

• Thread starter SpaceNerdz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the speaker is a freshman at Columbia University majoring in Astrophysics. They have been unsuccessful in finding an internship in a research astro-lab despite applying to multiple places and approaching eight different people. They are seeking advice on how to improve their chances for future internships and mention their desire to apply for grad school in the same field. The speaker has already reached out to professors and followed up, but is unsure of what else to do. They are also considering applying for REUs and are advised to focus on their grades and CV in the meantime.
SpaceNerdz
Hi Everyone,

I'm a student at Columbia U, freshman, intending to major in Astrophysics. I'm trying to get an internship in a research astro-lab, but I have not been successful at all. I've tried applying to National labs, to other schools, to the American Natural History Museum, to the the professors in my own school, and all-in-all, I think I approached about 8 different people about possibility of research internships. So far, it's been a "no".

I was wondering if I can get advise in this. I really don't know what I am doing wrong here. I mean, the professors I approached in my own school are very nice, and I think that they think I am nice too, and my grades are actually pretty OK. So I'm really not sure what I did "right", or what I did "wrong". I understand that summer is almost here, and I probably won't get a summer internship, but let's say for Fall, or next spring or summer, what should I do to get it "right"?

I really want a astro-related internship because I want to apply to grad school in astrophysics, and I know that the research experience would be important for that. But I really don't know what to do to get an internship. Is there some fantastic trick in getting one ? I mean, I emailed the professors, I followed up by showing up at their door, and I hand them my CV if they hadn't already printed it off from the email. What else should I do ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you applied to REUs? As a freshman, it's pretty difficult to get research experience. Think of the situation from your professors' perspectives. Why would they hire you when they can hire someone with more experience? I would say don't throw in the towel just yet. I know that you want to do research, but until an opening comes along just focus on your grades and CV to make sure you can outshine any other applicants.

1. What is an internship and why is it important?

An internship is a temporary work experience that allows students or recent graduates to gain practical knowledge and skills in their field of study. It is important because it provides hands-on learning opportunities, helps build a professional network, and enhances your resume for future job opportunities.

2. How do I find an internship?

You can find internships through various sources such as online job portals, company websites, career fairs, and networking events. You can also reach out to your college's career center or connect with professionals in your field for potential internship opportunities.

3. When should I start looking for an internship?

It is recommended to start looking for internships at least 6-9 months before the desired start date. This will give you enough time to research and apply for different opportunities, and increase your chances of securing a position.

4. What should I include in my internship application?

Your internship application should include a resume, cover letter, and any other required documents or materials specified by the company. Your resume should highlight your relevant skills, education, and experience, while your cover letter should showcase your enthusiasm for the internship and how you can contribute to the company.

5. How can I make the most out of my internship experience?

To make the most out of your internship experience, it is important to have a positive attitude, be proactive, and take initiative. Communicate with your supervisor about your goals and expectations, ask for feedback, and network with other professionals in the company. Also, be open to learning new skills and take advantage of any training or development opportunities provided by the company.