Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get specific frequency and time values for .wav file

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    How to get specific frequency and time values for .wav file and export the values as .csv?

Problem: I need to analyze this music .wav file, particularly for its frequency, amplitude, and pitch over specific intervals of time.

Is there any easy to use software and steps I can take that can help me accomplish this?

I have tried audacity, sonicvisualizer, and sigview, but I am unsure how to utilize these softwares appropiately to achieve my specific goal.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2015 #2
    I would use Wolfram Mathematica.

4. Mar 6, 2015 #3
    If you can extract a ten-second audio clip where the frequency, or pitch which means the same thing, and amplitude isn't changing much and post that audio clip along with an image of the graphic equalizer showing the sound at that moment then someone might be able to take a few minutes to see if they could give you the amplitude for a few dozen or hundred frequencies making up that clip. That could be turned into a .csv file and you could see if that might be what you are looking for.

Or you could send me a message and describe a little more about what you are trying to accomplish and I would see if I could offer any ideas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook