How to get specific frequency and time values for .wav file

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to analyze a .wav file for specific frequency, amplitude, and pitch values over specific time intervals. The person is looking for easy-to-use software and steps to achieve this goal and has tried multiple softwares without success. The suggestion of using Wolfram Mathematica is mentioned, along with the possibility of extracting a ten-second audio clip and creating a .csv file with the desired values. The option of seeking further help and describing the goal in more detail is also presented.
jojobirdie
How to get specific frequency and time values for .wav file and export the values as .csv?

Problem: I need to analyze this music .wav file, particularly for its frequency, amplitude, and pitch over specific intervals of time.

Is there any easy to use software and steps I can take that can help me accomplish this?

I have tried audacity, sonicvisualizer, and sigview, but I am unsure how to utilize these softwares appropiately to achieve my specific goal.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Music 1.png
    Music 1.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 568
Physics news on Phys.org
I would use Wolfram Mathematica.

If you can extract a ten-second audio clip where the frequency, or pitch which means the same thing, and amplitude isn't changing much and post that audio clip along with an image of the graphic equalizer showing the sound at that moment then someone might be able to take a few minutes to see if they could give you the amplitude for a few dozen or hundred frequencies making up that clip. That could be turned into a .csv file and you could see if that might be what you are looking for.

Or you could send me a message and describe a little more about what you are trying to accomplish and I would see if I could offer any ideas.

1. How do I extract specific frequency values from a .wav file?

To extract specific frequency values from a .wav file, you will need to use a software or programming language that is capable of analyzing audio files. Some examples include MATLAB, Python, and Audacity. These programs have functions or tools that allow you to view and extract frequency values from a .wav file.

2. How can I determine the frequency range of a .wav file?

The frequency range of a .wav file can be determined by looking at its sample rate. The sample rate is the number of samples per second that are used to represent the audio data. To calculate the frequency range, divide the sample rate by 2. For example, if the sample rate is 44,100 Hz, the frequency range would be 22,050 Hz.

3. Is it possible to get time values for specific frequency ranges in a .wav file?

Yes, it is possible to get time values for specific frequency ranges in a .wav file. This can be done by using a spectrogram, which is a visual representation of frequency over time. The spectrogram will show you the time where a specific frequency range occurs in the audio file.

4. How can I extract a specific time frame from a .wav file?

To extract a specific time frame from a .wav file, you will need to use a software or programming language that allows you to select and save a portion of the audio file. This can be done manually in a program like Audacity, or through coding in a program like Python. You will need to specify the start and end time of the desired time frame to extract.

5. Is there a way to get both frequency and time values simultaneously from a .wav file?

Yes, there are programs and libraries available that allow you to extract both frequency and time values simultaneously from a .wav file. For example, the Python library librosa has a function called "load" that returns both the audio data and the sample rate, which can be used to calculate the frequency range. Additionally, some software programs like Audacity have a spectrogram feature that displays both frequency and time values at the same time.