How to get the radius of a circumference given some points

In summary, the formula for finding the radius of a circumference given some points is r = √[(x1-x2)² + (y1-y2)²]. This formula can be used with three or more points to calculate the radius. The accuracy of the calculated radius depends on the accuracy of the given points. If the points do not lie on a perfect circumference, the calculated radius may not be completely accurate, but it will still provide a good estimate. This method can be applied to any circumference as long as the coordinates of the points are known.
tecnica
Do you guys know of any program that can give me the radius of a circumference, if I input the cartesian coordinates of some points?

Physics news on Phys.org
its usually trivial enough to do by hand.
if you have to do it a lot, you use a math scripting program like gnu octave.
a lot depend on details... i.e. too few points and there will be no unique radius.
niggle: a circumference does not have a radius, but a circle has both.

1. What is the formula for finding the radius of a circumference given some points?

The formula for finding the radius of a circumference given some points is r = √[(x1-x2)² + (y1-y2)²], where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of two points on the circumference.

2. Can I use more than two points to find the radius?

Yes, you can use more than two points to find the radius. The formula remains the same, but you will need to use the coordinates of three or more points to find the radius.

3. How accurate is the radius calculated using this method?

The accuracy of the calculated radius depends on the accuracy of the given points. If the points are measured accurately, then the radius will also be accurate. However, if there are errors in the measurement of the points, the calculated radius may not be completely accurate.

4. What if the given points do not lie on a perfect circumference?

If the given points do not lie on a perfect circumference, the calculated radius will not be completely accurate. However, if the points are close enough to a circumference, the calculated radius will still be a good estimate.

5. Can I use this method to find the radius of any circumference?

Yes, you can use this method to find the radius of any circumference as long as you have the coordinates of the points on the circumference.