Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to i solve the amplitude 3sin(2x)+4sin(x)

1. Apr 2, 2004 #1
    how to i solve the amplitude 3sin(2x)+4sin(x)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The amplitude of one component is 3; the amplitude of the other is 4. When two sine waves are added together, regardless of their frequencies or phases, they will periodically be in phase and add together constructively. They will add to an amplitude of 7 at those points.

- Warren

4. Apr 2, 2004 #3
    thx , is amplitude find through max/min pts?

5. Apr 2, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Far be it from me to disagree with Chroot, but I don't see how sin(x) and sin(2x) will "constructively interfere" to give an amplitude of 3+ 4. 4sin(x)= 4 only for x= pi/2+ 2npi while 3sin(2x)= 3 only for 2x= pi/2+ 2mpi or x= pi/4+ mpi. That means we would have to have (m-2n)pi= pi/4 for some integers m and n.

The way I would do this problem is to find the maximum value of y= 3sin(2x)+ 4sin(x) as expscv suggested:
    If y= 3sin(2x)+ 4sin(x) then y'= 6cos(2x)+ 4cos(x). cos(2x)= 2cos2(x)- 1 so this is y'= 12 cos2(x)+ 4cos(x)- 6= 0.

Solving that quadratic equation for cos(x), then converting that to sin(x) and sin(2x) (sin(x)= sqrt(1- cos2(x)) of course, and sin(2x)= 2sin(x)cos(x)), I get that 3sin(2x)+ 4sin(x) has a maximum value of approximately 6.10, the same thing I get by graphing y= 3sin(2x)+ 4sin(x).

6. Apr 2, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whoops. Integer multiple frequencies. :sheepish grin:

- Warren

7. Apr 2, 2004 #6
    thx both in reply, espically HallsofIvy ,

8. Apr 2, 2004 #7

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I got too curious. :smile:

The red and blue are the two components. The black one the sum.

Attached Files:

• c1.png
      c1.png
      File size:
      2.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Apr 3, 2004 #8
    cool wat software is that?

10. Apr 3, 2004 #9
    Nice looking functions. You can do that with Excel as well, although it would be a bit less convenient.

11. Apr 3, 2004 #10

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It's called ROOT. You can download it from here. It is mainly used for high energy physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?