1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to integrate int 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\frac{dx}{(4+x^2)^2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    I understand that [tex]\frac{dx}{a^2+u^2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{a}[/tex] tan -1 [tex]\frac{u}{a}[/tex] + c

3. The attempt at a solution
    The extra square is throwing me off for some reason. If I let a=2 and u=x it doesn't seem to help because of the whole term being squared. I end up with [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]tan-1[tex]\frac{x}{2}[/tex] + c. In my book the first fraction is [tex]\frac{1}{16}[/tex]I'm pretty sure I can't complete the square because it isn't ax^2+bx+c. Basically I am stumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Integrals

I would go with a trig substitution, tan u = x/2.

4. Jul 29, 2009 #3

Yeah I can't believe I missed that substitution. I was going through my notes and realized I let that square block my train of thought for some reason. Its amazing what a small break and clearing your head can do.
    I just let a=2 and x=2 tan theta. What I forgot to do was take the derivative of x. Plugging it all back together and then using some right angle trigonometry I found out the problem was much easier than I though.
    Thanks for the help.

5. Jul 29, 2009 #4

This is a good substitution technique to internalize. Often when you have a2+x2 in the denominator, you will make the substitution x=a*tan(u). If you have a2-x2, then you make either x=a*cos(u) or x=a*sin(u).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook