How to learn physics on my own

• Thread starter Immortalis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is a high school senior who has been admitted to study electrical engineering and is interested in learning about topics such as quantum mechanics and special relativity. They are seeking guidance on how to learn these topics on their own and are advised to improve their math skills, specifically in Calculus and Algebra. They can start with lectures and introductory books on special relativity and quantum mechanics, and then move on to a standard "modern physics" textbook. They can also take extra courses from their school's physics department as electives or for enrichment. While quantum mechanics may not be necessary for most engineering careers, it may be useful for those pursuing graduate studies in electrical engineering. Special relativity can be learned on their own given enough time and
Immortalis
Hello,
I am currently a high school senior. I've been admitted for university to study electrical engineering and possibly nuclear engineering. I also enjoy learning about topics including quantum mechanics and special relativity. I would major in physics except it's not a career I want to pursue. How could I go about learning these topics on my own?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must improve your math skills, especially Calculus and Algebra. You can start with some lectures for Theoretical Physics and some good introductory books on Special Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

Wait until you've got a decent background in physics and calculus and then pick up a standard "modern physics" textbook (e.g. Modern Physics - Serway, or Modern Physics - Ohanian, or any other textbook like those).

Alternately, take extra courses (modern physics, QM, electrodynamics) from your school's physics department as electives or just as extra courses (it's difficult but can be enriching), depending on whether your department allows them as electives. I will note that it's not completely unreasonable to use quantum mechanics in engineering. While most engineers will never need quantum mechanics, and while most electrical engineers even don't need quantum mechanics, as an electrical engineering student, you will likely end up taking a course on semiconductor devices. These usually focus on a semi-classical approach to the physics of semiconductors, but if you chose to pursue it further and if you plan on going to graduate school, you may end up taking a few graduate QM and solid state physics courses, so there's that. Of course, the ultimate focus is on the engineering.

Special relativity is fairly easy to pick up on your own given enough time.

axmls said:
Wait until you've got a decent background in physics and calculus and then pick up a standard "modern physics" textbook (e.g. Modern Physics - Serway, or Modern Physics - Ohanian, or any other textbook like those).

That's what I would suggest also, for starters. Courses that use these books generally assume that you've completed a standard two-semester calculus based intro physics sequence. In fact, they're sometimes taught as the third course in a three-semester intro physics sequence. My first teaching job after graduate school was at a college where all electrical engineering majors had to take an intro modern course, so we had many students in it.

1. What are the best resources for learning physics on my own?

The best resources for learning physics on your own will vary depending on your learning style and level of understanding. Some popular options include online courses, textbooks, video lectures, and practice problems. You may also want to consider joining online forums or study groups to connect with other self-learners and get additional support.

2. How can I stay motivated while learning physics on my own?

Staying motivated while learning physics on your own can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Set specific goals for yourself and track your progress. Find ways to make the material personally relevant and interesting, such as relating it to real-world situations or your own interests. And don't be afraid to take breaks and switch up your study methods if you feel yourself getting burnt out.

3. Is it possible to learn advanced physics concepts on my own?

Yes, it is possible to learn advanced physics concepts on your own, but it may require more time and effort compared to learning in a traditional classroom setting. It's important to have a strong foundation in the basics before attempting more complex topics. Additionally, seeking out additional resources and seeking help from experts can greatly aid in your understanding of advanced concepts.

4. How can I test my understanding of physics when learning on my own?

There are several ways to test your understanding of physics when learning on your own. One option is to use practice problems or quizzes from textbooks or online resources. You can also try explaining the concepts to someone else, as teaching is a great way to solidify your understanding. And if possible, you can also try taking online courses that offer tests or quizzes to assess your knowledge.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when learning physics on my own?

When learning physics on your own, it's important to avoid skipping over foundational concepts or moving too quickly through material. Make sure to take the time to fully understand each topic before moving on. It's also important to actively engage with the material, rather than just passively reading or watching lectures. Finally, don't be afraid to seek help from others when you encounter difficulties or have questions.