Steps for Forging Bevel Gears: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter vincentpt99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary, the process of manufacturing gears through forging involves several steps, including extrusion for smaller gears and forging for larger ones. Secondary machining steps may also be necessary for precision and tight tolerances. The American Gear Manufacturing Association's website is a valuable resource for information on gear manufacturing, and key terms to research include hobbing, grinding, and shaping.
vincentpt99
the question given is this

" Gears can be made of forging especially bevel gears. Through literature survey describe the sequence of manufacturing steps involved in the production of gears."

what i thought is that the gear should be manufactured by extrusion, and then cut it into pieces. but the question had said that gear is manufacture by forging. after i search the internet, no website tell me how to manufacture gears.:cry:

can someone help me to solve this question, please...

Physics news on Phys.org
There is plenty of information out there, you just have to hunt for it. Machinery's Handbook has an entire chapter on gears and splines.

Small gears can be manufactured by extrusion, but that is not the case for larger gears, especially those that require tight tolerances and high precision. A lot of gears can be made from forgings, but will have many secondary machining steps after to finish the part.

I would highly recommend that you start with the American Gearm Manufacturing Association's website (AGMA): http://www.agma.org

I would suggest looking into the following terminology:
- Hobbing
- Grinding (in regards to gear grinding)
- Shaping

I wrote this assuming that you are referring only to metallic gears, not polymer based.

Last edited:

I can provide some insight into the steps involved in forging bevel gears. First, it is important to note that forging is a manufacturing process where metal is heated and shaped by applying pressure. This is different from extrusion, where metal is pushed through a die to create a specific shape.

In the case of forging bevel gears, the first step would be to select the appropriate material for the gear. This could be a variety of metals such as steel, aluminum, or bronze, depending on the specific application.

Next, the selected material would go through a heating process to make it easier to shape. This is known as the preheating stage and is necessary to reduce the force required during the forging process.

Once the material is heated, it is placed into a die or mold that is specially designed to create the shape of a bevel gear. The material is then subjected to high pressure, either through mechanical or hydraulic means, to shape it into the desired form.

After the initial forging process, the gear may go through additional shaping or trimming to achieve the final desired shape. This could include processes such as machining, grinding, or heat treating.

Finally, the bevel gear would go through a finishing process, which could involve polishing, deburring, or coating to improve its durability and functionality.

Overall, the steps for forging bevel gears involve selecting the appropriate material, preheating, shaping through high pressure, additional shaping and trimming, and finishing. It is a complex and precise process that requires skilled labor and specialized equipment. I hope this helps provide a better understanding of the manufacturing steps involved in forging bevel gears.

1. How do you design a gear?

Designing a gear involves a series of steps, starting with determining the gear's function and the type of gear needed. Next, calculations are done to determine the gear's size, shape, and number of teeth. Then, a CAD software is used to create a 3D model of the gear, which can then be tested and modified before the final design is produced.

2. What materials are commonly used to manufacture gears?

The most commonly used materials for manufacturing gears are steel, cast iron, and bronze. These materials offer high strength, durability, and resistance to wear and tear. Other materials such as aluminum, plastic, and titanium may also be used depending on the specific requirements of the gear.

3. What manufacturing process is used to make gears?

The most commonly used manufacturing process for gears is called hobbing. This involves cutting teeth into a blank gear with a specialized cutting tool called a hob. Other methods such as milling, shaping, and grinding may also be used depending on the type and complexity of the gear.

4. How do you ensure the quality of manufactured gears?

To ensure the quality of manufactured gears, various inspection and testing methods are used. These include visual inspection, dimensional measurements, hardness testing, and gear rolling tests. Quality control measures are also implemented during the manufacturing process to detect and correct any defects.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a gear manufacturer?

When selecting a gear manufacturer, some important factors to consider include their experience and expertise in gear production, their facility and equipment capabilities, their quality control measures, and their ability to meet your specific requirements and deadlines. It is also important to consider their reputation and customer reviews.