1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs How to masters/PhD in physics for an electrical and electronics engineer?

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    I am a graduate student studying in an engineering university in Electrical and electronic engineering for Bsc degree. After graduation I want to study/research in theoretical Physics(Postgraduate /masters/PhD).
    What should be my way ?
    I m very interested in Physics from school level and have a fairly good knowledge over classical physics , optics, group theory , linear algebra ,special relativity ,electrodynamics , thermodynamics

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2
    I would apply directly to the masters program in physics. They may accept you provisionally pending completion of some senior level physics courses.

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3
    What are the requirements for applying in masters program ? Though I am studying engineering I want to be a theoretical physicist and I study physics by myself .
    I have an engineering background and not in theoretical Physics directly will it make any problem?

5. Jun 18, 2011 #4
    From what I read on the forums, it's hard to go to a theoretical physics group for physicist, let alone for engineer.

I am an EE too, and I want to pursue a degree in physics, but something related to
    quantum computing, which (I think) needs a little physics than does theoretical physics.

I believe the same applies for experimental programs.

The idea is that you well need a lot of math and pure physics to get the minimum
    understanding of topics like strings theory / quantum gravity / standard model.

So if I were you, I would apply for an applied / experimental physics program, and
    there you could take your electives in theoretical physics (you will need the consent
    of your adviser, though).

6. Jul 12, 2011 #5
    Further to the above, does anyone know of good-quality online graduate programs in theoretical physics,quantum mechanics,or similar?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook