How to mathematically write down a probability of measuring a particle

In summary, when considering a system of 2 identical electrons confined in a region, the probability to measure the position of one electron near ##r_1## without measuring the position of the other electron can be obtained by averaging over all possible positions of the other electron and taking the squared modulus of the resulting "wave function". This is due to the indistinguishability and entanglement of the electrons in the system.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Consider a system of 2 identical electrons that are confined in a region so that there is a single wavefunction describing the whole system. In several textbooks one can read that the probability to measure the position of an electron in region near ##r_1## and the other in a region near ##r_2## as ##|\Psi(r_1, r_2, t)|^2dV_1dV_2##. However I have never, ever seen written the probability of measuring the position of only one of those electrons. Is it because it is impossible to make a measurement on a single of these electrons? If not, then how would I write down the probability to measure of one these electrons near ##r_1## but without measuring the position of the other electron?

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
I have never, ever seen written the probability of measuring the position of only one of those electrons. Is it because it is impossible to make a measurement on a single of these electrons?

The electrons are indistinguishable, so there is no such thing as "measure the position of electron #1" vs. "measure the position of electron #2". But there would be a valid operation of "measure the position of one electron".

fluidistic said:
how would I write down the probability to measure of one these electrons near ##r_1## but without measuring the position of the other electron?

You would have to average over all of the possible positions of the other electron to obtain an effective "wave function" for the one-electron position measurement, and then take the squared modulus of that. (I put "wave function" in quotes because the thing you get from this process is not quite the same as an ordinary wave function for a single particle.) Schematically, you would have something like ##| \psi(r_1, t) |^2##, where

$$
\psi(r_1, t) =\int \Psi(r_1, r_2, t) dr_2
$$

where the range of integration would be over all possible values for ##r_2##.

Likes fluidistic

FAQ: How to mathematically write down a probability of measuring a particle

1. What is the formula for calculating the probability of measuring a particle?

The formula for calculating the probability of measuring a particle is P = ||^2, where is the wave function of the particle.

2. How do I determine the wave function of a particle?

The wave function of a particle can be determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the potential energy of the particle and its initial conditions.

3. Can the probability of measuring a particle be greater than 1?

No, the probability of measuring a particle cannot be greater than 1. This would imply that the particle is certain to be in a particular state, which goes against the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. What is the significance of the wave function in probability calculations?

The square of the wave function, also known as the probability density, represents the likelihood of finding the particle in a certain state when measured. It is essential in calculating the probability of measuring a particle.

5. How does the uncertainty principle affect the probability of measuring a particle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This means that the probability of measuring a particle can never be 100% certain, as there will always be some degree of uncertainty.