How to maximize P(Y = y*) for a negative binomial distribution

In summary, the problem is that you need to find the derivative of a combinatoric function with respect to a unknown parameter. If you simplify the expression you get a negative binomial distribution with parameters r and p. To solve for p you need to take the derivative and set it equal to zero. If you are unsure of how to do this, I can help you out tomorrow.
dmatador
How can I find probability p that maximized P(Y = y*) when Y has a negative binomial distribution with parameters r (known) and p? I've just reduced the problem with some algebra, but other than guess-and-check I have no rigorous way to solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maximize/minimize = take the derivative and set it equal to zero

Maybe you could elaborate on that? More specifically.

Sorry was just trying to avoid using latex.

But write down your binomial dist. It should be
neg_binomial = A * p^k * (1-p)^r
where A won't depend on p, but will be some combinatoric.

Now take the derivative with respect to p.
A*k*p^(k-1)*(1-p)^r + A*r*p^k*(1-p)^(r-1)
now set that equal to 0 and solve for p. It will be some explicit value depending on your parameters.

Sorry for skimping on the latex, if its too unclear I can re-write it for you.

edit: But the point is that whenever you want to find a max or min, that is an equivalent statement to saying that the slope of the function has to be zero (although a zero slope isn't always a max or min).

I tried it for Y = 11, r = 5. I ended up getting p = -5, which is clearly wrong.

dmatador said:
I tried it for Y = 11, r = 5. I ended up getting p = -5, which is clearly wrong.

First off, one obvious mistake on what I wrote to you before.

The second term of the expression should be negative not positive (from the chain rule on the derivative of (1-p)). Maybe double check that the rest is right.

If it still doesn't give a sensible answer I'll work it out explicitly tomorrow.

Sorry about that.

Oh no worries, it works now. But I guess you'll have to keep q in the form 1 - p for this to work, because you won't get a minus sign between the two terms.

Related to How to maximize P(Y = y*) for a negative binomial distribution

1. What is P(Y = y*) for a negative binomial distribution?

P(Y = y*) represents the probability of obtaining exactly y* successes in a negative binomial experiment. This is calculated using the negative binomial probability formula: P(Y = y*) = (r + y* - 1 choose y*) * p^r * (1-p)^y*, where r is the number of successes needed and p is the probability of success on each trial.

2. How is P(Y = y*) affected by the number of trials in a negative binomial experiment?

The number of trials has an inverse relationship with P(Y = y*) - as the number of trials increases, the probability of obtaining exactly y* successes decreases. This is because with more trials, there is a higher chance of obtaining more than y* successes, which decreases the probability of obtaining exactly y* successes.

3. What is the impact of changing the probability of success (p) on P(Y = y*) for a negative binomial distribution?

Changing the probability of success (p) has a direct impact on P(Y = y*). As p increases, the probability of obtaining exactly y* successes also increases. Conversely, as p decreases, the probability of obtaining exactly y* successes decreases.

4. How does the value of r affect P(Y = y*) for a negative binomial distribution?

The value of r determines the shape of the negative binomial distribution and therefore has a significant impact on P(Y = y*). As r increases, the distribution becomes more skewed to the right, resulting in a higher probability of obtaining larger values of y*. Conversely, as r decreases, the distribution becomes more symmetrical and the probability of obtaining larger values of y* decreases.

5. Is there a way to maximize P(Y = y*) for a negative binomial distribution?

Yes, there are several ways to maximize P(Y = y*) for a negative binomial distribution. One way is to increase the number of trials (n) while keeping the probability of success (p) and the number of successes needed (r) constant. Another way is to maximize the value of p, as this directly increases the probability of obtaining exactly y* successes. Additionally, choosing a smaller value of r can also increase the probability of obtaining larger values of y*, resulting in a higher overall P(Y = y*).