How to measure and calculate drift of falling object in air

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
MegaMan64
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I was wondering how to calculate the drift of an object that is falling though air. If I know the mass, air density, and velocity of an object that is falling how can I calculate its movement off the center of he drop point. I.E if you looking down on a grid with x and y on the side how many x and y did the object ver off to the side by if there is wind ?
Thanks for any help with this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say a crosswind will exert a force on a buoyant object roughly proportionally to the area of the object the wind acts on, within limits.