How to measure angle of rotation of sucrose

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
barca12345
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Hi all!

Supposed I have my solution of sucrose, my light source, my polarizer.

I shine my light source on my polarizer and plane polarized light passes through my solution, how then do I measure the how much my solution has rotated my polarized light by?

And also, what kind of container should I place my solution in?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need two polarizers and a tube (material not important). Just fill in the sucrose solution into the tube whose ends you may close by glueing glass plates (not plastic, as it will probably act as a polarizer, too). Comparing with the empty tube, you will have to rotate the polarizers on both sides so as to get maximum (or minimum) intensity. Google "polarimeter".