How Can Muscle Strain Be Measured?

In summary, muscle strain can be defined as the energy used to maintain a compressed hand grip, which can be measured as Fx * t, with the scientific unit of Nms. However, this definition does not take into account the cellular level and the various chemical reactions that occur. It is currently not possible to scientifically measure muscle strain.
Miopen
I am trying to figure out if there is a way to measure muscle strain.

If I apply a force F to compress a hand grip to the maximum distance x
upload_2018-5-16_2-13-17.png

The work done to compress the hand grip is F*x

Work done = Fx

Since work done = energy used, I can change the equation to:

Energy used = Fx

When our muscles use energy to perform work, we get muscle strain. I can change the wording to:

Muscle strain = Fx

If I continue to hold on to the hand grip so that it would not spring back, I need to maintain the energy used. As time passes, more energy is used (no work is done) because I can feel that the muscle strain becomes muscle pain.

If I hold on to the hand grip for 10 s. Can I define the muscle strain to be:

Muscle strain = Fx * 10s (and the scientific unit is Nms)

I don't have to go into the cellular level to explain the various chemical reactions that take place to maintain the hand grip in compressed position. I just have to know the external force acting on my hand muscles.

I can't find any literature to scientifically measure muscle strain. Can I define muscle strain as such since no one has done it?

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-16_2-13-17.png
    upload_2018-5-16_2-13-17.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 777
Physics news on Phys.org
Miopen said:
Since work done = energy used, I can change the equation to:
[...]
As time passes, more energy is used (no work is done)
In fact, work done is not equal to energy used. Energy can be used to perform useful work or can be used and wasted. Chemical energy used by a hand straining without moving is wasted.

1. What is muscle strain?

Muscle strain, also known as a pulled muscle, is an injury to a muscle or tendon caused by overstretching or tearing. It can result in pain, swelling, and limited range of motion.

2. How is muscle strain measured?

Muscle strain can be measured using a variety of methods, including manual muscle testing, electromyography (EMG), and imaging techniques such as ultrasound or MRI. These methods can help determine the severity and location of the strain.

3. What are the common causes of muscle strain?

Muscle strain can occur due to sudden or excessive stretching of a muscle, repetitive motions, and overuse. It can also be caused by poor posture, inadequate warm-up before physical activity, and inadequate rest and recovery time.

4. How can I prevent muscle strain?

To prevent muscle strain, it is important to maintain proper form and technique during physical activity, warm up adequately, and gradually increase the intensity and duration of exercise. It is also important to take breaks and allow for proper rest and recovery time.

5. What is the treatment for muscle strain?

Treatment for muscle strain may include rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE), over-the-counter pain medication, and physical therapy. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary. It is important to consult with a medical professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.