1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How to measure muscle strain

1. May 15, 2018 #1
    I am trying to figure out if there is a way to measure muscle strain.

If I apply a force F to compress a hand grip to the maximum distance x
    upload_2018-5-16_2-13-17.png
    The work done to compress the hand grip is F*x

Work done = Fx

Since work done = energy used, I can change the equation to:

Energy used = Fx

When our muscles use energy to perform work, we get muscle strain. I can change the wording to:

Muscle strain = Fx

If I continue to hold on to the hand grip so that it would not spring back, I need to maintain the energy used. As time passes, more energy is used (no work is done) because I can feel that the muscle strain becomes muscle pain.

If I hold on to the hand grip for 10 s. Can I define the muscle strain to be:

Muscle strain = Fx * 10s (and the scientific unit is Nms)

I don't have to go into the cellular level to explain the various chemical reactions that take place to maintain the hand grip in compressed position. I just have to know the external force acting on my hand muscles.

I can't find any literature to scientifically measure muscle strain. Can I define muscle strain as such since no one has done it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2018 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

In fact, work done is not equal to energy used. Energy can be used to perform useful work or can be used and wasted. Chemical energy used by a hand straining without moving is wasted.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted