1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How to measure the area of a Clapeyron diagram (pV diagram)?

1. Dec 14, 2016 #1
    The question is in the title. However my mathematical ability is limited as I am a high school student.

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many different methods . Post the diagram and tell us where it originates .

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3
    Cut out the area with a scissors and weigh it on a sensitive balance. Then cut out a known rectangular area of the paper and weigh it to calibrate the paper.

5. Dec 16, 2016 #4
    Thank you I will try this, I do not know if I have access to a sensitive enough balance.

6. Dec 16, 2016 #5
    400px-Carnot_cycle_p-V_diagram.svg.png

7. Dec 16, 2016 #6
    You're a high school student, but some high school students have had calculus. Have you had integral calculus yet?

8. Dec 17, 2016 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Trace the shape onto squared graph paper and count the squares. You'll find that most fractions of a square can readily be paired with another to form the equivalent of one whole square, then use your best estimate for the area of each of those remaining.

holly-1756.gif

9. Dec 18, 2016 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

And do you know the P-V equations for each "side" of the figure in your diagram?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted