Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How to measure the area of a Clapeyron diagram (pV diagram)?

1. Dec 14, 2016 #1
    The question is in the title. However my mathematical ability is limited as I am a high school student.

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many different methods . Post the diagram and tell us where it originates .

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3
    Cut out the area with a scissors and weigh it on a sensitive balance. Then cut out a known rectangular area of the paper and weigh it to calibrate the paper.

5. Dec 16, 2016 #4
    Thank you I will try this, I do not know if I have access to a sensitive enough balance.

6. Dec 16, 2016 #5
    400px-Carnot_cycle_p-V_diagram.svg.png

7. Dec 16, 2016 #6
    You're a high school student, but some high school students have had calculus. Have you had integral calculus yet?

8. Dec 17, 2016 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Trace the shape onto squared graph paper and count the squares. You'll find that most fractions of a square can readily be paired with another to form the equivalent of one whole square, then use your best estimate for the area of each of those remaining.

holly-1756.gif

9. Dec 18, 2016 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

And do you know the P-V equations for each "side" of the figure in your diagram?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted