How to measure the BW of a LNA

• Thread starter Robismyname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, an RF LNA has a frequency range well beyond its 3dB bandwidth. To measure the BW of the LNA, you need to measure the S21 parameter which is the -3db points on both sides of the S21.
Robismyname
My question is two fold.

1) I was asked to measure the BW of a LNA (RF2472G). Is this done with a VNA. I have an obsolete model in my lab Agilent/HP 8720ES.

2) Exactly how would you measure the BW of the LNA in general? Using the VNA? Is this a S11, S12, S22, S21 parameter? please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe it's the -3db points on both side of the S21. This is power wave, it's the BW of the two -3db power point. I am not familiar with the VNA you have, but all you have to do is to plot the S21 in the rectangular form.

As youngman stated, bandwidth would be the S21 measurement. However, be aware that RF LNAs generally do not use the 3dB bandwidth as a metric as you would with an op amp. Their frequency range is an indication of the range over which they are usable, and this is generally well beyond its 3dB rolloff point.
For example, your device's advertised range is DC - 6GHz. Its gain at 6GHz is around 10dB and the low freq gain is over 20dB.

True, but usually you are measuring the whole circuit including the input and output matching. Or else you just read off the S-parameter file and get the answer, no need for VNA.

In my experience, we always limit the low end in the input/output matching network so you don't get more gain in the frequency range out of the frequency of interest. There's no reason for passing the lower frequency as you don't want to have unwanted frequency driving the LNA into saturation and affect the gain at the frequency of interest. At least that's what I did, making it a bandpass as much as possible.

You are right, if this amp is to be used in a narrowband application it will be part of an overall circuit that will have a well defined 3dB bandwidth governed by some external network. (I actually use these parts in broadband applications where I need gain from MHz to GHz). Maybe the OP can chime in, it sounded like he was trying to characterize the part by itself (and, as you mentioned, that data is freely given out by manufacturer).

1. How do I measure the bandwidth of a LNA?

The bandwidth of a LNA (Low Noise Amplifier) can be measured by using a network analyzer or spectrum analyzer. The LNA should be connected to the analyzer and the frequency range should be set to the desired bandwidth. The output power and gain of the LNA should then be measured at different frequency points within the bandwidth. The bandwidth can be determined by looking at the frequency range where the output power and gain are within the desired specifications.

2. What is the importance of measuring the bandwidth of a LNA?

Measuring the bandwidth of a LNA is important as it ensures that the amplifier is operating within the desired frequency range. It also allows for the optimization of the LNA's performance by adjusting its design parameters. Additionally, knowing the bandwidth of a LNA is crucial for selecting the appropriate amplifier for a specific application.

3. Can the bandwidth of a LNA be adjusted?

Yes, the bandwidth of a LNA can be adjusted by changing its design parameters such as the inductance and capacitance values of its components. However, this should only be done by experienced engineers as it requires a thorough understanding of the LNA's circuit and its effects on its performance.

4. How does the operating frequency affect the bandwidth of a LNA?

The operating frequency of a LNA is directly related to its bandwidth. Generally, a lower operating frequency will result in a wider bandwidth, while a higher operating frequency will result in a narrower bandwidth. This is due to the physical limitations of the components used in the LNA and their ability to amplify signals within a certain frequency range.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the measured bandwidth of a LNA?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the measured bandwidth of a LNA. These include external noise sources, temperature, and the stability of the power supply. It is important to isolate and minimize these factors during the measurement process to obtain accurate results.