How to model the opening and closing of valves?

In summary, the iris valve restricts the flow of air coming from the throttle valve, so the flow through the throttle valve is zero. The engine will stop if the iris valve is in a closed state.
amare
ok guys ! i need to edit this question ! I have an iris type of valve that is installed between the throttle valve and the intake manifold to restrict flow. the valve is to be fully closed and fully opende based on need. there is no partial opening something like that. what i need is the mathematical equations for the flow rate of air that come from the throttle valve and blocked by the iris valve so that there will not be flow to the intake manifold. i have equations for the mass flow rate of air that come from the throttle valve. but the air will be blocked by the iris valve if the iris valve is in a closed state. how do i drive expression for the air flow inthe intake manifold is zero and the engine will stop ? the attached images are fully open and fully closed conditions of the valve. you can have a look on the youtube link also...

Attachments

• Capture11.PNG
    Capture11.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 423
  • Capture111.PNG
    Capture111.PNG
    20.9 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can't help with the mathematical modeling, but you'll have to be very specific about the type of valve (ball valve, needle valve, gate valve, etc.). They all behave differently.

When you have two valves in series, you have to calculate the flow by considering the resistance to flow of both valves at the same time. This is easy if one of the valves is always fully open or fully closed. When the iris valve is fully open, the throttle valve controls the flow. When the iris valve is fully closed, it controls the flow (to zero).

Because you have two separate conditions, your model needs a separate equation for each condition.

Likes amare
do you help me with the equations please?
jrmichler said:
When you have two valves in series, you have to calculate the flow by considering the resistance to flow of both valves at the same time. This is easy if one of the valves is always fully open or fully closed. When the iris valve is fully open, the throttle valve controls the flow. When the iris valve is fully closed, it controls the flow (to zero).

Because you have two separate conditions, your model needs a separate equation for each condition.
could you please help me with the equations? the throttle valve is always fully open and the iris valve is closed and opened based o condition. normally the problem is when the flow is restricted by the iris valve , the air flow to the manifold will be restricted and from the model of the manifold pressure i get a negative value... which i do not understand it...

I hope that you are in the Mechanical Engineering program at your university. If so, the equations by themselves will not make sense until you have had your class in fluid dynamics. After the class in fluid dynamics, you will know the equations. Much more importantly, you will understand them.

Spend some time thinking about the cases of iris valve fully open, and iris valve fully closed. What is the throttle valve doing in each case? Visualize the flow situation and do not even think about equations when you do this. You need to understand what is happening before you can properly apply an equation, or understand the results of the equation(s).

Hint: If the iris valve is closed, what is the flow through the throttle valve? What is the expression for that flow? Does the throttle valve have any effect on the flow when the iris valve is closed?

Likes amare

1. What is the purpose of modeling the opening and closing of valves?

The purpose of modeling the opening and closing of valves is to understand and predict the behavior of the valve in different scenarios. This can help in designing more efficient and effective valve systems and troubleshoot any potential issues.

2. What are the factors that affect the opening and closing of valves?

The opening and closing of valves can be affected by various factors such as pressure, flow rate, temperature, viscosity of the fluid, and the design and material of the valve itself.

3. What are the different types of valve models?

There are various types of valve models, including analytical models, numerical models, and experimental models. Analytical models use mathematical equations to describe the behavior of the valve, while numerical models use computer simulations. Experimental models involve physical testing of the valve in a controlled environment.

4. How do you validate a valve model?

To validate a valve model, it is important to compare the model's predictions to real-world data. This can be done by conducting experiments on an actual valve and comparing the results to the model's predictions. Additionally, the model can be validated by comparing it to other established models or using sensitivity analysis to determine the model's accuracy.

5. Can valve models be used to optimize valve performance?

Yes, valve models can be used to optimize valve performance by simulating different scenarios and analyzing the results. This can help in identifying the most efficient valve design and operating conditions for a specific application.