1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to parametrize inersection of 2 paraboloids?

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to parametrize the equations z = x^2 and x = y^2 in order to find the unit tangent vector, normal vector, and binormal vector.

2. Relevant equations

z = x^2 and x = y^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried setting x = t, so then y = [itex]\sqrt{}t[/itex] and then z = t^2.
    Using that equation r(t) = < t, [itex]\sqrt{}t[/itex] , t^2> I would get completely wrong answers from the book, and if I tried another function like r(t) = < t^2 , t , t^4> , I would get different results from my previous vector. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can see that your first parameterization is not going to give you the full intersection, because there won't be any points with negative y values.

The second parameterization looks more promising. Can you show your calculations for the tangent and normal vectors?

4. Jul 19, 2012 #3
    Well I needed to find the unit tangent and normal vectors to find the normal and osculating plane equations, and the question only asked for it at the point < 1,1,1> so y isn't negative. However, with either function it looks like I am not getting the correct answer.

When I used r(t) = < t, [itex]\sqrt{}t[/itex] , t^2> I got that

r'(t) = <1 , 1/2sqrt(t) , 2t> and if I found the magnitude of that, I get [itex]\sqrt{}5.25[/itex]

From that, my unit tangent vector is 1/sqrt(5.25) <1 , 1/2sqrt(t) , 2t >

Something already looks wrong, so when I kept going, I obviously didn't get the right answer

5. Jul 19, 2012 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you have to evaluate this at t = 1, but aside from that, I don't see anything wrong. What answer does the book give?

By the way, I get the same answer using either of your two parameterizations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook