Pick a Server for App Design: 10K User Data Pulls

• Thread starter btb4198
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Server
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of WCF to pull data from a server for a mobile app. The individual is wondering how to choose the server for their app, which is expected to have around 10,000 users. They clarify that the app will only be used for data and not for videos or audio files. One possible option for hosting the WCF service is IIS, and further information can be found on MSDN.
btb4198
I want to design an app and will use WCF to pull data from a server, but I need to know how to pick the server to use. I am hoping to have about 10K people ( many be more) using this app. and they will be pulling data from this server. NO video nor audio file, just data like school , Schedule, times, name datas.

so how do I pick a server ?

Technology news on Phys.org
btb4198 said:
I want to design an app and will use WCF to pull data from a server, but I need to know how to pick the server to use. I am hoping to have about 10K people ( many be more) using this app. and they will be pulling data from this server. NO video nor audio file, just data like school , Schedule, times, name datas.

so how do I pick a server ?

The choice and combination(s) you can make is dependent on the application at hand. One option for a simple app like the one you describe would be to use IIS.
For more info about hosting and consuming WCF Services you can take a look at MSDN. The article is somewhat old but you'll get the hang of it.

1. What should I consider when choosing a server for app design with 10K user data pulls?

The most important factors to consider when choosing a server for app design with 10K user data pulls are the server's processing power, storage capacity, and network speed. You want a server that can handle a large number of data pulls efficiently and quickly.

2. Should I choose a dedicated or shared server for this type of app design?

It is generally recommended to choose a dedicated server for app design with 10K user data pulls. This ensures that all resources of the server are solely dedicated to your app, providing better performance and stability.

3. How much bandwidth do I need for a server with 10K user data pulls?

The amount of bandwidth needed for a server with 10K user data pulls depends on the size of the data being pulled and the frequency of the pulls. It is recommended to have at least 1Gbps of bandwidth to ensure smooth and efficient data transfers.

4. What type of security measures should I consider for my server?

When choosing a server for app design with 10K user data pulls, you should consider implementing security measures such as firewalls, regular backups, and encryption to protect the sensitive user data. It is also important to regularly update and patch the server's software to prevent any vulnerabilities.

5. How do I ensure scalability for my app's server as the number of users grows?

To ensure scalability for your app's server, you can consider using a cloud hosting service that allows for easy expansion of resources as your user base grows. This will ensure that your server can handle an increasing number of data pulls without any performance issues.