Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to proof the polarity of the reflected wave of Oblique incident.

1. May 30, 2013 #1
    As shown in the attachment, the book assumes ##\hat E_{||}^r=\hat y_r=(\hat x
    \cos \theta_r +\hat z \sin\theta_r)##. Why? How do you proof this. I have another post here about the Normal Incidence and no luck.

I am not even convinced that the reflected E is even in the Plane of Incidence, how do you even proof this. I have 5 EM books only Griffiths even attempt to proof in a way I don't even agree for the Normal Incidence. Every book pretty much just give the polarity. If anyone have article or notes, please share with me.

Thanks

Alan

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2013 #2
    Try solving the problem there. I faced the very same hurdle. The boundary conditions beautifully bring out the result

Attached Files:

4. May 30, 2013 #3
    Actually this is exactly what I was struggling with in the other post:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=694386

I am going no where, I spent like two days thinking about that problem already, please take a look and give me some insight. I have the solution manual and I just don't agree with it. The hint make an assumption the the reflected wave is tangential as a starter and where is the proof that the reflected wave is even tangential to the boundary?

For me, the proof I can accept is if ## \hat n_R=\hat x \cos \theta_R+\hat y \sin\theta_R+ \hat z f(\theta_R)## and proof that y and z component are both zero. Or better yet, proof reflection of a TEM wave is also a TEM wave.

Thanks

Last edited: May 30, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook