How to proof the polarity of the reflected wave of Oblique incident.

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
As shown in the attachment, the book assumes ##\hat E_{||}^r=\hat y_r=(\hat x
\cos \theta_r +\hat z \sin\theta_r)##. Why? How do you proof this. I have another post here about the Normal Incidence and no luck.

I am not even convinced that the reflected E is even in the Plane of Incidence, how do you even proof this. I have 5 EM books only Griffiths even attempt to proof in a way I don't even agree for the Normal Incidence. Every book pretty much just give the polarity. If anyone have article or notes, please share with me.

Thanks

Alan

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Try solving the problem there. I faced the very same hurdle. The boundary conditions beautifully bring out the result

Attachments

Try solving the problem there. I faced the very same hurdle. The boundary conditions beautifully bring out the result
Actually this is exactly what I was struggling with in the other post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=694386

I am going no where, I spent like two days thinking about that problem already, please take a look and give me some insight. I have the solution manual and I just don't agree with it. The hint make an assumption the the reflected wave is tangential as a starter and where is the proof that the reflected wave is even tangential to the boundary?

For me, the proof I can accept is if ## \hat n_R=\hat x \cos \theta_R+\hat y \sin\theta_R+ \hat z f(\theta_R)## and proof that y and z component are both zero. Or better yet, proof reflection of a TEM wave is also a TEM wave.

Thanks

Last edited: