Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question in reflection and transmission at oblique incidence.

1. May 24, 2013 #1
    I am reading Griffiths p387. It is my understanding that
    [tex]\tilde E(\vec r,t)=\hat r E_0 e^{j(\omega t-kr)}[/tex]
    Where ##\vec r =\hat x x+\hat y y+ \hat z z## is the positional vector from the origin to the observation point ( x,y,z).
    [tex]\Rightarrow\;\tilde E(\vec r,t)=\hat r E_0 e^{-jkr}\;=\;\left(\frac {\hat x x+\hat y y+ \hat z z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}\right) E_0e^{j[-(\hat x k_x+\hat y k_y+\hat z k_z)\cdot(\hat x x+\hat y y+\hat z z)]}\;=\; \left(\frac {\hat x x+\hat y y+ \hat z z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}\right) E_0e^{-j[( x k_x+ y k_y+z k_z)]} [/tex]

In Griffiths, he let the incident TEM wave travels in ##\vec k_I## direction. So he let
    [tex]\vec E_I(\vec r,t)= \vec E_{0I} e^{j(\omega t - \vec k_I\cdot \vec r)},\;\vec E_R(\vec r,t)= \vec E_{0R} e^{j(\omega t - \vec k_R\cdot \vec r)},\;\vec E_T(\vec r,t)= \vec E_{0T} e^{j(\omega t - \vec k_T\cdot \vec r)},\;[/tex]
    To expand one out:
    [tex]\vec E_I(\vec r,t)= \vec E_{0I} e^{j(\omega t - \vec k_I\cdot \vec r)}=\hat x E_{0I}e^{j[\omega t - (xk_{Ix}+yk_{Iy}+zk_{Iz})]}[/tex]

I have a problem with this, as you can see from the scanned page, the direction of the incident, reflected and transmitted wave is in direction of ##\vec k_I,\;\vec k_R\;\hbox { and } \;\vec k_T##. But he gave all three as ##\vec E(\vec r,t)##. This mean all three are in ##\vec r## direction. That is not right.
    Later, he actually equated
    [tex]xk_{Ix}=xk_{Rx}\;\Rightarrow\;k_{Ix}=k_{Rx}[/tex]
    This mean he used the same ##\vec r## in all three, that is questionable. I am not saying the final result is wrong, just the representation is questionable.
    Please help.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• E&H.jpg
      E&H.jpg
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2
    I think I got some of the explanation from Cheng's book that ##e^{\vec k\cdot \vec r}## is just to give ##e^{-jk_xx}e^{-jk_yy}e^{-jk_zz}=e^{-j(k_xx+k_yy+k_zz)}##.....which is like ##e^{-jkz}## in z direction.

But I still have a question. It is obvious that in the book, the incident wave is traveling in ##\hat k_I## direction, reflected wave in ##\hat k_R## direction and transmitted wave in ##\hat k_T## direction.

Why this book and other books all call ##\vec E(\vec r, t)## and not ##\vec E(\vec k_I, t)##? The incident wave IS traveling in ##\vec k_I## direction as indicated. Or this is just a general way of saying the direction of propagation has xyz components, not just z?

Last edited: May 25, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook