How to properly find the Domain of fog/gof ?

• Thread starter Spiffy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the domain and images of two partial functions. The g o f function is x2 + 1 and the f o g function is x2. The domain of g o f is (-9,9) and the domain of f o g is (1,5). The range of g o f is 1<x<25 and the range of f o g is x>1. The domain of g o f is [-8,10] and the domain of f o g is (0,4). The images of g o f and f o g are -9 and 9, respectively. The domain of gof is [-9,9] and the range is 1<
Spiffy

Homework Statement

f(x) = x + 1 D=[-9, 9]
g(x) = x2 D=(1, 5)

Question to be solved
Find both g o f and f o g and specify their domains

The attempt at a solution
g o f = (x+1)2

This is where I don't really know what to do, however I'll let the logical part of my brain go a bit silly and try this:
d= {x e R | 1 < x <= 2} because I'm making the assumption that it has to be true of both domains so while x = -4 would satisfy the domain of f(x) it doesn't g(x). Is that right? If so: how do I show this with math and not just my brain.. I think its inequalities but I've never been good at those, a first step would be much appreciated.

f o g = x2 + 1
well x must be >1 but then I need to find whatever value is x2 + 1 < 9
maybe
sqrt(8) ? also, as sqrt(8) is clearly < 5 it fits the criteria i think are necessary
So if I'm correct above it means D{x e R | 1 < x <= sqrt(8)}

I'm mostly sure I've answered these correctly, but I'm missing the formal way I should be writing this; the last thing I want is marks for correctness and marks lost for not showing my work.
Thanks to anyone that points me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
i can;t quiet follow what you've done, but you need the range or image of the intermediate function vs the domain of the 2nd function

so with som sloppy notation
g(f(x)): x -> f(x) -> g(x)

now the domain of f is [-9,9], only values of f(x) that fall into (1,5) can be taken by g, so how does this limit the values you can take from [-9,9]

ie. the domain of g(f(x)) must satisfy both x in [-9,9] and f(x) = x+1 in (1,5)

then similar for f(g(x))

When you are composing two partial functions, the "is in the domain" relation can be computed by:
x is in the domain of gof iff x is in the domain of f and f(x) is in the domain of g​
Both of the things on the right-hand-side of that iff can be written as inequations, and you know how to solve those, right?

Okay I'm still not sure with the explanations provided but I'll give it a shot:

This is the line I'm basing what I've done on:
"you need the range or image of the intermediate function vs the domain of the 2nd function"
and I'm thinking about the functions as:

where:
f(x) = x + 1 D=[-9, 9]
g(x) = x2 D=(1, 5)

and:
g o f = (f(x))2
and
f o g = g(x) + 1

then:
g o f = (x+1)2
D = (1, 5)
The possible values for f(x) (aka: the range) is [-8, 10] which fails to affect the domain of g

f o g = x2 + 1
D = (1, 9]
The range of g(x) is 1<x<25 limiting the possible Domain of f(x) as it has to be >1

I hope this is right because it makes sense to me from a logical perspective, if it is I'll chalk this up to another situation of over-thinking.

so for the functions, the domain & images are:

[tex] x \rightarrow f(x) = x+1 [/tex]
[-9,9] -> [-8,10]

[tex] x \rightarrow g(x) = x^2[tex]
(1,5) -> (1,25)

notice they are both one to one on the given domian which simplifies things

now for the function gof(x), the image, f([-9,9]) = [-8,10], but g(x) can only take values on (1,5) so we must restrict the domain, otherwise g is undefined, so we look at the f pre-image of the g domain,
[tex] f^{-1}(x) = x-1 [/tex]
[tex] f^{-1}((1,5)) = (0,4) [/tex]

so the total doamin will be given by the intersection of the f pre-image of the g domain & and the f domain
[tex] D_{gof} = D_f \cap f^{-1}(D_g) = [-9,9] \cap (0,4) [/tex]

if all this is confusing try drawing 3 horizontal lines above each other.
- the bottom is x, draw f domain
- the 2nd is y = (f(x)), draw g domain
- the 3rd is z = g(f(x))
now try and draw the approximate mapping action of each function between the lines

1. What is the difference between fog and gof?

Fog and gof are two different types of composite functions. Fog is when two functions are composed in the order of f(g(x)), while gof is when two functions are composed in the order of g(f(x)).

2. How do you find the domain of fog/gof?

To find the domain of fog/gof, you first need to find the individual domains of f(x) and g(x). Then, you need to determine the values of x that satisfy both domains. These values will be the domain of fog/gof.

3. Can the domain of fog/gof be different from the domains of f(x) and g(x)?

Yes, the domain of fog/gof can be different from the individual domains of f(x) and g(x). This is because when two functions are composed, some values of x may be excluded from the combined domain.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding the domain of fog/gof?

One common mistake is forgetting to consider the restrictions of the individual functions. Another mistake is not simplifying the composite function before finding the domain. Also, some may overlook the possibility of the domain being different from the individual domains.

5. How can I check if my answer for the domain of fog/gof is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging in values from the domain into the composite function and seeing if it produces a valid output. You can also graph the composite function to visually see the domain and check if it aligns with your answer.