How to prove a set of propositional connectives is NOT adequate?

• Thread starter philoss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of proving whether a set of connectives is adequate or not, and how to prove the impossibility of making all connectives using a given set. The importance of the "NOT" operator is highlighted, as well as the difference between propositional logic and philosophical logic.
philoss
I know how to prove if a set is adequate (all the main conncectives can be made from the set), but how would you prove that it is impossible to make all the connectives using this set?
For instance how would you prove if a set of connectives {and, or} is NOT adequate?

This is a question I thought of for preperation for a exam.

Any answer is appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that on the site I posted, K = "NOT 2nd" and M = "NOT 1st."

Also from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_completeness#Informal I surmise that {and, or} is not adequate because the "NOT" operator, which is excluded from the set, is necessary for generating the "--->" (if/then; implies) relationship.

Last edited:
Note: moved this thread from Philosophy. This will likely be a better place to get help with this type of question.

I agree; I guess there is a difference between propositional logic and "philosophical" logic, and sometimes it gets ignored.

1. How do you define "adequate" in the context of propositional connectives?

A set of propositional connectives is considered adequate if it is capable of expressing all possible truth functions. In other words, every truth table can be represented using the connectives in the set.

2. What is the process for proving a set of propositional connectives is not adequate?

The process involves constructing a truth table for each connective in the set and checking if there are any truth tables that cannot be represented using those connectives. If there are, then the set is not considered adequate.

3. Can a set of propositional connectives be partially adequate?

Yes, a set of propositional connectives can be partially adequate. This means that it can represent some, but not all, possible truth tables. However, the goal is to have a set that is fully adequate.

4. Are there any commonly used sets of propositional connectives that are not considered adequate?

Yes, the commonly used sets of connectives such as "AND", "OR", and "NOT" are not considered adequate. These sets are only capable of expressing a limited number of truth functions.

5. How does proving a set of propositional connectives is not adequate impact the field of logic?

Proving a set of propositional connectives is not adequate can lead to the development of new connectives or the modification of existing ones. This can expand the capabilities of logic and lead to new discoveries and applications in various fields such as computer science and mathematics.