How to prove a set of propositional connectives is NOT adequate?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter philoss
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
philoss
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I know how to prove if a set is adequate (all the main conncectives can be made from the set), but how would you prove that it is impossible to make all the connectives using this set?
For instance how would you prove if a set of connectives {and, or} is NOT adequate?

This is a question I thought of for preperation for a exam.

Any answer is appreciated.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Note: moved this thread from Philosophy. This will likely be a better place to get help with this type of question.
 
I agree; I guess there is a difference between propositional logic and "philosophical" logic, and sometimes it gets ignored.