Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove definition of exponential function as limit of powers converges

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    I've tried and searched for a long time, and I haven't been able to prove or find a proof that the following sequence converges (without using another definition of the exponential function):

[tex]\forall x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Prove that:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (1+ x/n)^n[/tex] exists.

I can prove that it is monotonic and using binomial theorem I can show that it is bounded for x=1. However if I try to use the same approach for general x, I get the power series for e^x and can only say it is bounded if I can prove the power series converges, which I don't know how to do. But even if I did is there any way to prove this limit exists without proving the power series converges (the other definition of e^x)?

Another related question I can't figure out is, how can I prove that

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (1+ x/n + o(x/n))^n = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(1 + x/n)^n [/tex]

where [tex] o(x/n) [/tex] is any function that goes to 0 more quickly as [tex](x/n) \rightarrow 0 [/tex] than [tex](x/n) [/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2
    I admit I don't know much real analysis. However if we have the proof for x =1 can't we let u= n/x. Then u goes to inf. as n does, x/n = 1/u and n = u*x. If we call the result for x=1 e, we get (lim u->inf (1 + 1/u))^x = e^x.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    The problem with such an approach is that it uses the exponential function and its properties in the definition of the exponential function itself - so I would consider it circular reasoning.

Before defining e^x we have definitions for integer powers as products, but without defining the exponential function and logarithms, we can't say what something^x, where x is a real number, means, specifically I believe we define these general powers as [tex] a\in \mathbb{R^+} x\in\mathbb{R}, a^x := e^{x \log(a)}[/tex]

5. Aug 4, 2010 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Without ever knowing anything about the exponential function you can expand the limmand into a series using the binomial theorem and show that series is bounded by [tex]\sum \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex] which converges for all x by the ratio test.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook