How to Recognize Split Electric Fields - Comments

In summary, the electric field is the force on a stationary charge, which is the sum of the electric field generated by a source (Em) and the electrostatic field (Es). There is only one electromagnetic field, which is the sum of the electric field generated by a source (Em) and the magnetic field (Ms).
Dale said:
I have no objection to this nor any of your other statements about interpretations. Similarly, for a person standing at rest the downward gravitational force and the upward normal force “are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction but they have totally different sources and exist independently of one another”. And they can be mathematically described by vectors with all of the corresponding vector operations

This part is important. We are not saying that since ##\mathbf{N} + m\mathbf{g} = \mathbf{0}## for an object at rest on a flat surface implies that ##\mathbf{N}## is also conservative. The key thing in this case is that ##\mathbf{E}_s(\mathbf{r}) = -\mathbf{E}_m(\mathbf{r})## for all ##\mathbf{r}## inside the battery; i.e. the LHS and RHS are equal as functions. That then implies the dual conservativity.

Physics news on Phys.org
## \nabla \times E_s=0 ## everywhere. That makes ## E_s ## conservative. The ## E_m=-E_s ## only inside the battery. We can't in general say that ## \nabla \times E_m=0 ##, or that ## \oint E_m \cdot dl=0 ##. The result is that ## E_m ## is non-conservative. ## \\ ## To me it is somewhat a matter of taste whether you like this splitting as an explanation or not. In any case, some of the mathematics that is being presented to criticize it, IMO, is inaccurate.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
In any case, some of the mathematics that is being presented to criticize it, IMO, is inaccurate.
Please point out specifically which step in my proof is inaccurate.

Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
Please point out specifically which step in my proof is inaccurate.
The comment was directed to the ## E_m ## being labeled as conservative by @etotheipi .
I also disagree with 98.2. If I am interpreting it correctly, we do not have ## \nabla \cdot E_m=0 ##.

Likes vanhees71, etotheipi and Dale
@Dale Please see the addition to the above post, that 98.2 is, IMO, incorrect. See also my posts 86 and 87.

Prof. Shankar is right. He does not violate ## \oint \bf E =0 ## if ## \bf E ## is conservative (or zero) as Feynman does in his lecture notes (vol II chapt 22).

Now I have two illustrious physicists in my camp - Profs.Skilling and Shankar. One at first-rate Stanford, one at a top Ivy college. That's 2-0 by my count.

BTW Prof. Shankar has two excellent introductory physics courses on YouTube.

Dale said:
I have no objection to this nor any of your other statements about interpretations. Similarly, for a person standing at rest the downward gravitational force and the upward normal force “are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction but they have totally different sources and exist independently of one another”. And they can be mathematically described by vectors with all of the corresponding vector operations
That is exactly my point. Your two forces can be written N = mg yet they have as you say " totally different sources and exist independently of one another". In this spirit we write ## \bf E_s = -\bf E_m ##. So where is the problem?

You might also seriously consider post 102.

• Sad
Likes etotheipi
Charles Link said:
@Dale Please see the addition to the above post, that 98.2 is, IMO, incorrect. See also my posts 86 and 87.
Well, (98.2) didn’t come from me. That was from @rude man. It is clear that he will need to discard at least one of those equations in (98.1-6), but I am not sure which he will choose.

Last edited:
rude man said:
In this spirit we write Es=−Em. So where is the problem?
The proof in post 98 demonstrates the problem conclusively. The equations that you propose are in fact inconsistent with each other. They cannot all be true.

Either you must discard one or you must claim that math doesn’t apply to your theory. You appear to be taking the latter approach which I regard as the worst possible approach. To discard math runs contrary to all of physics since Newton. It would be far better, in my opinion, to fix your equations. I honestly don’t see the point of having equations at all if you are going to discard the rules of math.

Again, does math apply to your theory or not?

Last edited:
Dale said:
Well, (98.2) didn’t come from me. That was from @rude man. It is clear that he will need to discard at least one of those equations in 98.1-6, but I am not sure which he will choose.
Mathematics may not be his strongest suit. I think he may have made a mathematical error or two in the course of the discussion, but that should not negate the merit of this methodology.

Charles Link said:
Mathematics may not be his strongest suit. I think he may have made a mathematical error or two in the course of the discussion, but that should not negate the merit of this methodology.
As far as I can tell his methodology is a Helmholtz decomposition of the E field, although he uses non standard terminology. That is fine and does have some uses. I do not object to it in general. I am specifically objecting to his treatment of a battery. It is mathematically inconsistent.

When someone uses a standard method incorrectly, then a criticism of the result does not imply a criticism of the standard method. Helmholtz decomposition is fine, but does not produce the result he claims for a battery.

Likes vanhees71
rude man said:
He does not violate ## \oint \bf E =0 ## if ## \bf E ## is conservative (or zero) as Feynman does in his lecture notes (vol II chapt 22).

You are making things up again :frown:. The presence of the time varying magnetic field inside the lumped inductor means that you can no longer constrain the line integral to be zero.
rude man said:
That is exactly my point. Your two forces can be written N = mg yet they have as you say " totally different sources and exist independently of one another". In this spirit we write ## \bf E_s = -\bf E_m ##. So where is the problem?
Do you just ignore my post #106?

Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
As far as I can tell his methodology is a Helmholtz decomposition of the E field, although he uses non standard terminology. That is fine and does have some uses. I do not object to it in general. I am specifically objecting to his treatment of a battery. It is mathematically inconsistent.

When someone uses a standard method incorrectly, then a criticism of the result does not imply a criticism of the standard method. Helmholtz decomposition is fine, but does not produce the result he claims for a battery.
I question whether the Helmholtz decomposition works for this case. I can't put my finger conclusively on why it seems to go wrong, but all indications are that it doesn't work. Meanwhile, the separation into ## E_m ## and ## E_s ## is very straightforward, and the ## E_s ## behaves in a very predictable manner.

Might I propose a treatment of the inductor which makes use of a decomposition of the electric field, that is consistent with @Dale's reasoning? There are some important differences to what you are suggesting.

We consider a lumped inductor, along with a closed curve through the conducting wire from one terminal of the inductor to the other, and out through the vacuum to the first terminal. Inside the conducting wire in the inductor, we introduce a decomposition ##\mathbf{E} = \mathbf{E}_{c} + \mathbf{E}_{ind} = \mathbf{0}##. In the low frequency limit ##\nabla \times \mathbf{E}_{ind} = 0## implies ##\mathbf{E}_{ind}## is conservative inside the conducting wire, as is ##\mathbf{E}_s##. Then of course the EMF ##\mathcal{E} = \oint \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{l} = -\oint \mathbf{E}_{ind} \cdot d\mathbf{l} = -\int_a^b \mathbf{E}_{ind} \cdot d\mathbf{l} = \int_a^b \mathbf{E}_{c} \cdot d\mathbf{l} = -V##

This is to say that everywhere inside the conducting wire as well as outside the element the electric field is conservative. However, the domain is not simply connected (it is a torus), so the closed curve line integral is still non-zero.

Though I must say this is highly unnecessary, and perhaps even still invalid. Much better to just go with Feynman :wink:.

It seems it is impossible to make ## E_{induced} ## to be conservative, and there is no reason it should be, because it isn't. The same is the case with the ## E_m ## in general, regardless of the source. It normally seems to exist only in the source of interest, and points in one direction, and starts there and stops there. It also doesn't obey ## \nabla \cdot E_m =0 ##. Perhaps ## E_m ## doesn't fit the Helmholtz criterion because it may not be a well-behaved function.

Likes vanhees71
Charles Link said:
Meanwhile, the separation into Em and Es is very straightforward, and the Es behaves in a very predictable manner.
Well, it certainly isn’t as straightforward as it seems since the straightforward analysis for a battery leads to an inconsistent set of equations.

In any case, if what he is describing is not a Helmholtz decomposition then I am exceptionally skeptical of its validity. A much more rigorous treatment is required

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Charles Link
I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say that I don't think it then makes sense to decompose the electric field inside an inductor. You must either get two conservative fields, or two non-conservative fields (so any talk of a Helmholtz decomposition is out of the question). Of these two choices, both can produce a non-zero closed curve line integral due to the fact the domain is not simply connected. However, these don't make much sense in this context.

Feynman's treatment is the only one I've come across that I understand. I am done messing around with these unphysical splits :rolleyes:

Likes vanhees71, rude man and Dale
Dale said:
Well, it certainly isn’t as straightforward as it seems since the straightforward analysis for a battery leads to an inconsistent set of equations.

In any case, if what he is describing is not a Helmholtz decomposition then I am exceptionally skeptical of its validity. A much more rigorous treatment is required
Even for the inductor, I don't believe it is a Helmholtz decomposition. It seems to be in the category of a mathematical construction, with the ## E_s ## well-behaved and following the rules of electrostatics, (e.g. ## \oint E_s \cdot dl=0 ##), while the EMF's and the associated ## E_m ##'s, where ## \mathcal{E}=\int E_m \cdot dl ##, are basically a very different animal.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
Even for the inductor, I don't believe it is a Helmholtz decomposition. It seems to be in the category of a mathematical construction, with the ## E_s ## well-behaved and following the rules of electrostatics, while the EMF's and the associated ## E_m ##'s, where ## \mathcal{E}=\int E_m \cdot dl ##, are basically a very different animal.
Then I think some mathematical rigor is necessary. E.g. a definitive formula for calculating these split fields in terms of standard EM quantities. Otherwise any discussion requires consulting an oracle to determine the decomposition

If it is not a Helmholtz decomposition then the only other thing I could see is that it is the decomposition ##E_s=-\nabla \phi## and ##E_m= -\frac{\partial}{\partial t} A## where ##\phi## and ##A## are the scalar and vector potentials in the Coulomb gauge. But who knows, it certainly isn’t described here with enough rigor to say.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
Dale said:
Then I think some mathematical rigor is necessary. E.g. a definitive formula for calculating these split fields in terms of standard EM quantities. Otherwise any discussion requires consulting an oracle to determine the decomposition
It seems to be a model that some like and others don't. In the case of an inductor, there is sufficient symmetry that ## E_m ## can be computed. For a battery, such symmetry is absent, and it becomes a somewhat abstract description. It doesn't have tremendous mathematical rigor in that sense. You can postulate ## \mathcal{E}=\int E_m \cdot dl ## for some ## E_m ##, but you can't measure the ## E_m ## because it is always offset by a ## -E_s ##. Personally, I see some merit in the description, but others seem to find it to be lacking in fundamental soundness.

Charles Link said:
I do see some merit to @rude man 's approach.
What is the merit? Please be specific.
The open circuit electric potential of a battery is a fixed number, and that is well known and is very useful.
To infer, from that single fact, that there must exist an internal electric field Em (m is for magic) is, charitably, an interesting conjecture. It neither simplifies the circuit analysis nor elucidates any actual underlying physics.
Please can we please stop discussing Chimera. I am certainly finished.

Likes Dale and Charles Link
Dale said:
Well, (98.2) didn’t come from me. That was from @rude man. It is clear that he will need to discard at least one of those equations in (98.1-6), but I am not sure which he will choose.
I am deliriously happy with 98. 1-6.

BTW 98.3 is a vector addition so ## \bf E_s + \bf E_m = 0 ## in coil (or battery or ...).
## \bf E_m ## points - to + in battery, ## \bf E_s ## points + to - in & outside battery.
|##E_s ##| = |##E_m##| in battery or coil wire.
No inconsistency, no sale.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
rude man said:
I am deliriously happy with 98. 1-6.
Then you have discarded mathematics

Likes etotheipi and vanhees71
@rude man Clearly 98.2 is incorrect. You do not have ## \nabla \cdot E_m =0 ## for the ## E_m ## that your model gives. I think posts 124 and 125 kind of summarize the general consensus of this methodology.

Charles Link said:
@rude man Clearly 98.2 is incorrect. You do not have ## \nabla \cdot E_m =0 ## for the ## E_m ## that your model gives. I think posts 124 and 125 kind of summarize the general consensus of this methodology.
## \nabla \cdot \bf E = 0 ## for ANY electric field. Just ask Maxwell.

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and etotheipi
Dale said:
Then you have discarded mathematics
OK.

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes weirdoguy, etotheipi and Dale
rude man said:
OK.
With that I think we are done here. There is no point in discussing something that is knowingly so diametrically opposed to all of physics since Newton’s day. This is a very disappointing outcome for this thread.

Last edited:
Likes weirdoguy, vanhees71 and etotheipi