How to replicate a realistic Reynolds number for an airfoil

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving designing and testing a wing in a wind tunnel to replicate the Reynolds numbers experienced by a Cessna 172 wing. Factors to consider include the type of wind tunnel, airfoil shape, boundary layer effects, and other variables such as air temperature and humidity.
MattH150197

Homework Statement

Hi I am doing a project of designing and testing a wing in a wind tunnel, the wing is based a cessna 172 skyhawk wing and I am trying to determine what chord length it should be to try and replicate similar reynolds numbers that a cessna 172 wing would experience in real life.

Homework Equations

https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///C:/Users/stc263/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that at 8000 ft the reynolds number ranges from 2 - 5.4 million Re for the aircraft, i found temp and pressure in wind tunnel to get density 1.24. I then put 5.4 million = 1.24*40(max wind tunnel speed) * L / 1.81x10^-5 (dyn viscosity) and worked out for L but i got a value of 1.8 m which is too big for my average chord length. Can anyone see that I am doing something wrong or can suggest how i can produce more similar reynolds numbers for the airfoil. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

As a fellow scientist, I would suggest considering the following factors in your design and testing process:

1. The type of wind tunnel you are using: Depending on the type of wind tunnel (closed circuit or open circuit), the Reynolds number may vary. Make sure to check the specifications of your wind tunnel and adjust your calculations accordingly.

2. The airfoil shape: The Cessna 172 wing has a unique airfoil shape that contributes to its Reynolds number. Make sure to carefully design and replicate the airfoil shape in your wind tunnel model.

3. Boundary layer effects: In real-life scenarios, the airflow over the wing is affected by the boundary layer, which can significantly impact the Reynolds number. Consider incorporating boundary layer effects in your wind tunnel design to get more accurate results.

4. Other variables: Apart from air density and viscosity, there may be other variables that can affect the Reynolds number, such as air temperature and humidity. Make sure to account for these variables in your calculations.

I hope these suggestions help you in your project. Good luck!

1. How do I calculate the Reynolds number for an airfoil?

In order to calculate the Reynolds number, you will need to know the velocity of the air flowing over the airfoil, the density of the air, the length of the airfoil, and the viscosity of the air. The formula for calculating the Reynolds number is Re = (velocity x length x density)/viscosity.

2. Why is it important to replicate a realistic Reynolds number for an airfoil?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity that indicates the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid. A realistic Reynolds number is important because it determines the flow regime of the air over the airfoil, which can greatly affect its aerodynamic performance. Replicating a realistic Reynolds number allows for more accurate testing and analysis of the airfoil's performance.

3. What factors can affect the Reynolds number for an airfoil?

The Reynolds number for an airfoil can be affected by the airfoil's shape, the velocity of the air, the density of the air, and the viscosity of the air. Additionally, changes in temperature and altitude can also impact the Reynolds number.

4. How can I replicate a realistic Reynolds number for an airfoil in a wind tunnel?

In order to replicate a realistic Reynolds number in a wind tunnel, you will need to carefully control and measure the velocity, density, and viscosity of the air. This can be achieved by using specialized equipment and techniques, such as a velocity probe and a pitot tube, to accurately measure these parameters.

5. What are the limitations of replicating a realistic Reynolds number for an airfoil?

There are a few limitations to replicating a realistic Reynolds number for an airfoil. Firstly, wind tunnels have a limited range of velocities and sizes, which may not be able to accurately replicate the conditions of a real-world scenario. Additionally, the precise control and measurement of air properties can be challenging and may introduce some errors in the results. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when conducting experiments using a wind tunnel.