How to respond to point in locked thread

• Thread starter Jonathan Scott
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a thread in the Special Relativity forum called "Black holes and whether General Relativity views light as a ballistic particle?" that was locked after the user posted a response to a potentially rude comment. The user had been sharing an alternative viewpoint about black holes based on Schwarzschild's original solution and citing peer-reviewed papers. They feel as though they have been censored without proper explanation and are unsure of how to proceed. They are considering starting a new thread but fear it may be shut down as well. They are seeking advice and clarification on the PF policy for locking threads without informing the participants.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
I just tried to respond to what appeared to be an unnecessarily rude response from JustinLevy to a post of mine in the thread "Black holes and whether General Relativity views light as a ballistic particle?" in the Special Relativity forum, only to find that the thread had been locked.

I don't know who locked it, or why, but it seems very impolite to do so without warning just at the point where someone has effectively just declared that I don't know what I'm talking about. I've been calling attention to the existence of an alternative viewpoint about black holes, based on Schwarzschild's original solution, including references to peer-reviewed papers (and I was about to supply some further references when the thread was locked). This was presumably considered heretical by someone (despite the fact that it is fully consistent with GR as described by Einstein).

[I myself don't know for certain which side is right in the debate about black holes, so my position isn't even that I fully support the less conventional view, but rather that it appears to me to be worthy of consideration, so if the standard, extraordinarily weird, interpretation is correct there should be some really robust reason why Schwarzschild's original and physically simple solution should be dismissed.]

Overall, I feel as if I've probably been censored by someone who holds a specific opinion which differs from mine, but without further information I can't tell, so I don't know how to proceed. I can understand that some people genuinely think that there is no debate, but I thought that calling attention to ideas being promoted by peer-reviewed (if somewhat controversial) sources, such as papers by Leonard S Abrams, Salvatore Antoci and Abhas Mitra, was considered reasonable.

As followers of the relativity and astrophysics forums are probably aware, I generally fully support standard SR and GR apart from these doubts about the assumed mass point location in the vacuum solution, and even then I'm happy to answer questions from the standard viewpoint on black holes, with the proviso that in some contexts I will call attention to the fact that I'm not sure they exist, with references to Schwarzschild's original solution and its implications.

If I try to start a new thread and point out honestly that it's a continuation of a locked one, I'm sure that won't help its chances of survival. I guess I could use one to at least summarize the position and provide references to the relevant papers, but if someone out there thinks it's already heresy by their definition then they could find that grounds for an infraction!

Is there no PF policy of informing people why a thread is being locked (for example by posting to it first)?

Advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
That thread has been locked pending a moderation decision. Members will be notified once a decision has been made. Until then, further discussion of the topic would defeat the point of locking the thread in the first place!

1. What is a locked thread?

A locked thread is a discussion forum or message board post that has been closed for any further replies or comments. This is usually done by moderators to prevent arguments, spam, or off-topic discussions.

2. Why would a thread be locked?

A thread may be locked for various reasons, such as violating the forum's rules, repetitive or duplicate discussions, or the topic has been resolved or no longer relevant.

3. How should I respond to a point in a locked thread?

If the thread is locked, it is best to not respond at all. Responding to a locked thread will not bring any new discussion and may result in a violation of the forum's rules. It is better to start a new thread with your point or continue the discussion in a different thread.

4. Can I request for a thread to be unlocked?

Most forums have a policy against unlocking locked threads. However, if you have a valid reason, such as new information or an error in the original discussion, you can contact the moderators or administrators to request for the thread to be unlocked.

5. How can I prevent my thread from being locked?

To prevent your thread from being locked, make sure to read and follow the forum's rules and guidelines. Stay on topic and avoid any personal attacks or offensive language. If you are unsure about a topic, you can ask the moderators or administrators for clarification before posting.