How to set up double integral for volume by rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid of revolution using a double integral, with a mistake in using y as the radius of rotation. The correct integrand should be (y+1). It is also mentioned that the problem can be solved using a single integral after the inner dx integral is calculated.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid of revolution of the area bounded by the curves about the given axis.
y= x^2 - 2, y = 0, about y = -1, consider only the area above y=-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew out the problem and figured it would be simplest to use a double integral. I'm not sure how to write this nicely but, I got:
4pi * (integral from -1 to 0 of y(integral from 0 to sqrt(y+2) of dx) dy)
Hopefully you can read that. Note I cut it in half so I multiply by 2 to get the volume I want. I'm fairly positive this is right, I'm just curious as to why i am getting a negative answer. If I just have to switch the integral from (-1 to 0) to (0 to -1) why is that? or did I set the problem up wrong since the axis is y=-1?
Also is there a simple way to cover the problem with a single single intgral (I know i can break it up)?

Physics news on Phys.org
MeMoses said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid of revolution of the area bounded by the curves about the given axis.
y= x^2 - 2, y = 0, about y = -1, consider only the area above y=-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew out the problem and figured it would be simplest to use a double integral. I'm not sure how to write this nicely but, I got:
4pi * (integral from -1 to 0 of y(integral from 0 to sqrt(y+2) of dx) dy)
Hopefully you can read that. Note I cut it in half so I multiply by 2 to get the volume I want. I'm fairly positive this is right, I'm just curious as to why i am getting a negative answer. If I just have to switch the integral from (-1 to 0) to (0 to -1) why is that? or did I set the problem up wrong since the axis is y=-1?
Also is there a simple way to cover the problem with a single single intgral (I know i can break it up)?

You have$$
4\pi \int_{-1}^0\int_0^{\sqrt{y+2}} y\, dxdy$$Your mistake is using y in the integrand; that is not the radius of rotation of the dxdy element. What is the correct distance from the line y = -1 to the dxdy element located at (x,y)?

so the integrand would just be (y+1) and that should solve my problems?

MeMoses said:
so the integrand would just be (y+1) and that should solve my problems?

I think so. Try it.

MeMoses said:

And, yes to that last question. Once you do the inner dx integral in your double integral, you will be looking at the single integral you could have used in the first place.

1. What is a double integral for volume by rotation?

A double integral for volume by rotation is a mathematical method used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object that has been rotated around a specific axis. It involves integrating the cross-sectional area of the object over the entire rotation.

2. How do I set up a double integral for volume by rotation?

To set up a double integral for volume by rotation, you will need to determine the limits of integration for both the inner and outer integrals. The inner integral represents the rotation axis, while the outer integral represents the cross-sectional area of the object. Additionally, you will need to determine the appropriate function and integration method for the object's cross-sectional area.

3. What types of objects can be calculated using a double integral for volume by rotation?

A double integral for volume by rotation can be used to calculate the volume of any three-dimensional object that has rotational symmetry, such as cylinders, spheres, and cones. It can also be used for more complex objects that can be broken down into smaller sections with rotational symmetry.

4. What are some common methods for finding the cross-sectional area in a double integral for volume by rotation?

Some common methods for finding the cross-sectional area in a double integral for volume by rotation include using geometric shapes such as circles or rectangles, using the disk or washer method, or using the shell method. The method used will depend on the shape and orientation of the object being rotated.

5. Can a double integral for volume by rotation be used for non-symmetric objects?

No, a double integral for volume by rotation can only be used for objects with rotational symmetry. For non-symmetric objects, other methods such as triple integration or the use of calculus of variations may be necessary to calculate volume.