How to show an equation with n'th number of iterations

• Thread starter vmr101
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of the n'th object relative to the first when multiple objects moving away at the same speed are observed. The formula for this is derived from k calculus and expressed as g = (a+b) / (1+ab), where g is the velocity of the n'th object, b is the velocity of the last object relative to the previous, and a is the previous object velocity relative to the one before it. It is suggested to use rapidities, specifically hyperbolic tangents, to show the answer mathematically for large n.
vmr101
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An observer measures an object moving away at speed v=0,75, an observer on that object measures another object moving away in the same direction with the same speed relative to it and this is repeated n times. Find the velocity of the n'th object relative to the first.

I didnt post in the physics section, as its just the maths that is the tricky part. Showing this formula for n objects, when each object relies on the same equation for the previous object etc.

Homework Equations

w = u+v / (1 + uv) derived from k calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

I have understand and have sorted out the physics in this, but am unsure of how to show the answer mathematically. For large n, g => 1.

g = (a+b) / (1+ab) , where g) is the velocity of the n'th object relative to the original observer.
b) is the velocity of the last (n'th) object relative to the previous, a) is the previous object velocity relative to the one before it, all the way back to the original.
In a few steps I keep subbing in this equation into it self, and while I can show it works for small n, It am unsure of how to show this mathematically for large n.

Physics news on Phys.org
I recall something like =(a+b)(1-ab+(ab)^2 - (ab)^3+...

vmr101 said:

Homework Statement

An observer measures an object moving away at speed v=0,75, an observer on that object measures another object moving away in the same direction with the same speed relative to it and this is repeated n times. Find the velocity of the n'th object relative to the first.

I didnt post in the physics section, as its just the maths that is the tricky part. Showing this formula for n objects, when each object relies on the same equation for the previous object etc.

Homework Equations

w = u+v / (1 + uv) derived from k calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

I have understand and have sorted out the physics in this, but am unsure of how to show the answer mathematically. For large n, g => 1.

g = (a+b) / (1+ab) , where g) is the velocity of the n'th object relative to the original observer.
b) is the velocity of the last (n'th) object relative to the previous, a) is the previous object velocity relative to the one before it, all the way back to the original.
In a few steps I keep subbing in this equation into it self, and while I can show it works for small n, It am unsure of how to show this mathematically for large n.

Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity-addition_formula at rapidities. Combining velocities gets complicated. Adding rapidities is easy, they just add. Give an expression using hyperbolic tangents.

I had a look at rapidities but we haven't gone through them so I don't think that's how they want us to show this.
Any other advice?

vmr101 said:
I had a look at rapidities but we haven't gone through them so I don't think that's how they want us to show this.
Any other advice?

I guess I don't know any other closed form to express the answer in. Rapidities are easy.

I read up on the rapidities and i can make it work :) Thanks Dick.

vmr101 said:
I read up on the rapidities and i can make it work :) Thanks Dick.

Good for you. I knew you'd like the solution when you figured it out.

Likes vmr101

1. How do I represent an equation with n'th number of iterations?

To represent an equation with n'th number of iterations, you can use summation notation or a recursive formula. Summation notation uses the Greek letter sigma (∑) to represent the sum of a series of numbers. A recursive formula uses previous values to calculate the next value in the sequence.

2. How do I determine the value of n in the equation?

The value of n represents the number of iterations or steps in the equation. It can be determined by examining the pattern of the equation and identifying how many times the process is repeated. You can also specify the value of n in the equation to solve for a specific number of iterations.

3. Can I use any equation with n'th number of iterations?

Yes, you can use any equation with n'th number of iterations as long as it follows a pattern and can be represented using summation notation or a recursive formula. Examples include geometric and arithmetic sequences, as well as many mathematical and scientific formulas.

4. How do I write the equation for a specific number of iterations?

To write the equation for a specific number of iterations, you can use the general equation and specify the value of n. For example, if the general equation is ∑(2n+1), and you want to find the sum of the first 5 iterations, you would write ∑(2n+1) where n=5.

5. Can I use variables in the equation with n'th number of iterations?

Yes, you can use variables in the equation with n'th number of iterations. The variables can represent any number or value that changes with each iteration. This can allow for more complex equations and calculations to be represented with n'th number of iterations.