How to show that commutative matrices form a group?

In summary: I don't see how these all follow from the definition.Actually, I think this is a very weak proof. The proof is not very clear and does not seem to follow from the definition.
Robin04 said:
##(M-N)\cdot G - G\cdot (M-N) = GN-NG##. But what is ##N##? Element of ##X## or an arbitrary matrix?
Both have been meant to commutate with ##G##, so ##M,N\in X##.
The point is, that this is sufficient to show what you need: ##0\in X\; , \; -N \in X\; , \;M+N\in X## and even ##G \in X##, although not of interest for the group property.
Next it shows, that all these have nothing to do with a specific dimension or the solution of your system of linear equations. All you additionally need is that matrix addition is associative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Robin04 said:
How to generalize this to nxn matrices?

Forget about the particulars of matrices. What you want to prove holds for any mathematical system that obeys the associative law (posts #12, #32)

I would also learn how to write matrix multiplication using Summation notation.

Robin04 said:
##(M-N)\cdot G - G\cdot (M-N) = GN-NG##. But what is ##N##? Element of ##X## or an arbitrary matrix?You're right. I was too tired last night so I used a linear equation solver and it seems it has some bugs when it comes to dealing with parameters. I solved it on my own and it seems I got it right this time.

##\alpha \in \mathbb{R}##
##\beta \in \mathbb{R} ##
##\gamma = \beta \frac{c}{b}##
##\delta = \beta\frac{d-a}{b}+\alpha##
These matrices form a group too, and ##I,G## are also in it.
How to generalize this to nxn matrices?
But this too seems problematic. If ##\beta ## is in ##\mathbb R## then ##\gamma ## can be anything.

The more useful proposition is that the set [itex]X_G[/itex] of nxn matrices which commute with a specific nxn matrix [itex]G[/itex] form a ring under matrix addition and multiplication. Now this ring is a subring of the ring of all nxn matrices, so we only have to check closure of addition and multiplication and that [itex]X_G[/itex] contains identities and additive inverses. This requires proving the following:

1) If M and N commute with G then so does M + N.
2) If M and N commute with G then so does MN.
3) The nxn zero matrix commutes with G.
4) The nxn identity matrix commutes with G.
5) If M commutes with G then so does -M.

All of these can be proved directly from ring axioms and the definition of "commute". Thus (1) follows from distributivity of multiplication over addition, and (2) follows from associativity of multiplication.