How to Solve a Particle Motion Problem with Increasing Resistance?

In summary, the particle moves at a speed of 20 m/s and is subjected to a resistance which produces a retardation which increases uniformly with the distance moved. Once the particle has traveled 5 meters, the resistance force induces an acceleration of -9 m/s^(2).
mcintyre_ie
I’m having some difficulty with this question:

(b) A particle starts with a speed of 20 m/s and moves in a straight line. The particle is subjected to a resistance which produces a retardation which is initially 8 m/s^2 and which increases uniformly with the distance moved, having a value of 9 m/s^2 when the particle has moved a distance of 5 m.
If v m/s is the speed of the particle when it has moved a distance x m:

(i) prove that, while the particle is in motion,

v dv/dx = - ( 8 + x/5 )

(ii) Calculate the distance moved by the particle in coming to rest

I can’t seem to get out part (i), which is probably key to solving part (ii). I’m having problems with the force equation, more specifically with the resistance increasing with time/distance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
express v in terms of x.

edited: sorry that's a rather silly way to go about it. What does d2v/dx2 equal? so what does dv/dx equal?

Last edited:
The way that I usually do it is to get a force equation for the question first... then work out dv/dx etc. Any help with actually getting a force equation?

I'll give you a start: d2v/dx2 is going to be linear (the question tells you this), therefore d2v/dx2 = k (k = a constant), what is k?

jcsd said:
I'll give you a start: d2v/dx2 is going to be linear (the question tells you this), therefore d2v/dx2 = k (k = a constant), what is k?

I’m still not getting it out… am I supposed to be using equations of motion to get a, which is equal to v(dv/dx) and (d^2x)/(dx^2)? I’ve been trying to do it that way, but I’m still getting nowhere. I still can't figure out where the 8m/s^2 and 9m/s^2 retardations come in. I’d be grateful for a little more help.

Hint:
The acceleration of an object is given by [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex].
Assuming that the velocity may be written as a function of the position x(t), we have, by the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex], since by definition of velocity, we have [tex]v=\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Okay, a = dv/dx,

As I siad before we know d2v/dx2 = a constant as the question tells us this:, therefore from the question we can work out that: d2v/dx2 = [(-9) - (-8)]/5 = -1/5

So now integrate to find dv/dx

jcsd said:
Okay, a = dv/dx,

As I siad before we know d2v/dx2 = a constant as the question tells us this:, therefore from the question we can work out that: d2v/dx2 = [(-9) - (-8)]/5 = -1/5

So now integrate to find dv/dx

[tex]a\neq\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex], since the dimensions are unequal.
Rather, we have:
[tex]v(x(t))=\frac{dx}{dt}\rightarrow{a}=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

D'oh, yes your're right of course acceltrtion doesn't equal dv/dx

Ok, so now I'm just as lost. a = v(dv/dx), right? But I still don't know what I should be doing next...

Well, we're halfway, so you'r just halfway as lost.
By Newton's 2. law, you have:
[tex]a=\frac{F}{m}[/tex]
Now, you have been given that the resistance(force) induces a retardation of absolute value (8+x/5) (right?), so by assuming v is in the positive direction, the induced acceleration (F/m) must be -(8+x/5)

Now, you have been given that the resistance(force) induces a retardation of absolute value (8+x/5) (right?), so by assuming v is in the positive direction, the induced acceleration (F/m) must be -(8+x/5)

Yes, I know how to apply the force equation (F=Ma, etc), but what I don't understand is where the (8 + x/5) part comes from - I don't know how to firgure out that. That's my original question, and I still don't know how to do it.

Initially (that is, when you have moved zero distance!), the resistance force induces an acceleration of -8 m/s^(2) (that is, a retardation by assuming v positive)
This is given in the exercise.
You are then informed that the resistance increases in a uniform manner with the distance traveled so far.
Now uniform manner means that the resistance must increase in a linear relation with x (the distance travelled).
Hence, the induced acceleration must be on the form: -(8+sx), where s is a constant.

You are then informed that when you have traveled 5 meters (x=5), the induced acceleration is -9m/s^(2).

Hence, you may conclude that s=1/5

arildno said:
Initially (that is, when you have moved zero distance!), the resistance force induces an acceleration of -8 m/s^(2) (that is, a retardation by assuming v positive)
This is given in the exercise.
You are then informed that the resistance increases in a uniform manner with the distance traveled so far.
Now uniform manner means that the resistance must increase in a linear relation with x (the distance travelled).
Hence, the induced acceleration must be on the form: -(8+sx), where s is a constant.

You are then informed that when you have traveled 5 meters (x=5), the induced acceleration is -9m/s^(2).

Hence, you may conclude that s=1/5

Thanks, that's really all I wanted to know.

Well, I had to take my time, you know..:wink:

Related to How to Solve a Particle Motion Problem with Increasing Resistance?

1. What is differentiation problem?

Differentiation problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change or slope of a function at a given point. It is used in calculus to solve various real-world problems related to motion, economics, and science.

2. What are the different types of differentiation problems?

There are three main types of differentiation problems: finding the derivative of a function, finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, and using the derivative to solve optimization problems. Each type has its own set of rules and techniques for solving.

3. How do you solve a differentiation problem?

To solve a differentiation problem, you must first identify the type of problem and then apply the appropriate rules and techniques. For finding the derivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. For finding maximum or minimum values, you can use the first or second derivative test. For optimization problems, you can use the derivative to find the critical points and then determine the optimal value.

4. What are some real-world applications of differentiation problems?

Differentiation problems have many real-world applications, such as calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion, determining the maximum profit or minimum cost in economics, and finding the optimal shape or size in engineering and science. They are also used in fields like finance, biology, and chemistry.

5. Why is understanding differentiation problem important?

Understanding differentiation problem is essential because it allows us to analyze and model real-world situations using mathematical tools. It also helps in understanding the behavior of functions and making predictions about their future values. Additionally, many advanced fields of study, such as physics, engineering, and economics, rely heavily on differentiation to solve complex problems and make accurate calculations.