How to Solve a Statics Truss Problem at Joint C Using the Joint Method?

In summary, when solving statics truss problems, it is best to start with nodes that have only two unknown forces. In this particular problem, starting with node A is a good choice since one of the forces is known. Then, before moving on to node C, it is recommended to analyze node B first since it also has only two unknown forces. This will allow you to find the stress of joint $F_{BC}$. Finally, to find the angle $\beta$, you can use the right angle triangle and solve using the method of sections.
bergausstein
can you help me continue this problem. I'm stuck @ joint C. please use joint method.
please click the image to fully view it. thanks!
View attachment 1870

Attachments

• mech 1.png
    mech 1.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 93
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: statics truss problem.

When trying to solve these kind of problems try to find the stress of the nodes where there are only two unknown forces (since you can only get two equations per node). You've chosen the node A first, which is fine since $F_{AX}$ is zero thus leaving with only two unknown stresses.

But if you chose node C next you will find there are three unknowns. So my advice is analyse the Node B (which has only two unknown stresses) before going for node C. From there you can find the stress of the joint $F_{BC}$.

Now you'll only have two unknowns in node C since $F_{AC}$ and $F_{BC}$ is known.

Re: statics truss problem.

can you help me create the free body diagram at joint B. thanks!

View attachment 1876

$$\begin{align}
\rightarrow \displaystyle \Sigma \vec F &= 0\\
F_{AB} \sin \alpha - F_{BD}\sin{\beta} &= 0
\end{align}$$

$$\begin{align}
\uparrow \displaystyle \Sigma \vec F &= 0\\
F_{AB} \cos \alpha + F_{BD}\cos{\beta} +F_{BC} -400&= 0
\end{align}$$

I think you can find the appropriate values for $\alpha$ and $\beta$. $F_{AB}$ is known from node A (please consider that I've taken stress of the arm AB as a compression while you've taken it as a tension).

Attachments

• MHB.png
    MHB.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 79
I did find the angle $\alpha$ but I don't know how to find angle $\beta$. can you help me find it.

Attachments

• MHB.png
    MHB.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 71
$\beta=$63.4 degrees am I correct?

Yes that's correct. I hope you can manage to find the other stresses.

how can we solve this using method of sections?

Related to How to Solve a Statics Truss Problem at Joint C Using the Joint Method?

1. What is a statics truss problem?

A statics truss problem is a problem in which a truss structure is analyzed to determine the forces acting on each member. Trusses are used in engineering to support loads and distribute forces, and solving these types of problems is important for designing safe and efficient structures.

2. How do you solve a statics truss problem?

To solve a statics truss problem, you need to apply the principles of statics and use equations such as the method of joints and method of sections. These equations help determine the unknown forces in each member based on the given loads and support conditions.

3. What are the key assumptions made in solving a statics truss problem?

The key assumptions made in solving a statics truss problem are that the truss is in static equilibrium, all members are connected by frictionless pins, and the weight of the members themselves is neglected. Additionally, the truss is assumed to be rigid and all loads are applied at the joints.

4. What is the difference between a statically determinate and indeterminate truss?

A statically determinate truss is one in which all forces can be determined using the equations of statics, while an indeterminate truss has more unknown forces than equations. This means that additional analysis methods, such as the method of consistent deformations, are needed to solve the problem.

5. How do you check the stability of a statics truss?

To check the stability of a statics truss, you can perform a free body diagram analysis to ensure that the sum of all forces and moments acting on the truss is equal to zero. Additionally, you can check the internal forces in each member to ensure they are within the material's capacity. If the truss is stable, it will not collapse under the applied loads and will remain in equilibrium.