How to Solve Cross and Dot Product Problems with u, v, and w?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 18K views
prace
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
Ok, this one has really got me...

Suppose that u [tex]\centerdot[/tex] (vXw) = 2.

Find

(a) (uXv) [tex]\centerdot[/tex] w
(b) u[tex]\centerdot[/tex](wXv)
(c) v[tex]\centerdot[/tex](uXw)
(d) (uXv)[tex]\centerdot[/tex]v

Once I understand the what to do with the information given, I am sure the rest of the problems will fall into place, but can anyone help me to get started with this? Thanks

Oh, and just for clarification, the little dots that are out of place there are suppossed to represent the dot product. I used the \centerdot command with LaTeX but for some reason it is not where it should be. I am still pretty new at it. If I figure it out, I will edit the post again. So, for example, (a) is (u cross v) dot w.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link Orthodontist!

Let's give this a try... (u[tex]\cdot[/tex]v)[tex]\times[/tex]w

oop... hmm, still too high...
 
You have to write everything in tex in order to make things right.

[tex]\left(\mathbf{u}\cdot\mathbf{v}\right)\times\mathbf{w}[/tex]

Daniel.
 
Last edited: