How to solve this network of resistors for equivalent resistance?

Harsharma17
Homework Statement:
The question asks to find the equivalent resistance for this group of resistors in a network.
Relevant Equations:
I used Ohm's law and parallel and series combination to solve it, but don't know where to start. I thought about using Kirchoff's laws, but still I can't find the answer.
Screenshot_2020-12-08-12-51-30-736_com.google.android.apps.docs~2.png

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
Did you spot any resistors that are in parallel?

Likes Harsharma17
kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Straight segment AB looks like the letter I. Would anything change if you replaced it with more straight segments that look like the letter H and tied the two resistors on the left to the left side of the H and likewise for the right side?

Remember, the convention is that, in a schematic circuit, any point on a straight line segment is at the same potential as any other point as long as there are no circuit elements, e.g. resistors, batteries, etc., in between.

Likes Harsharma17
Harsharma17
Straight segment AB looks like the letter I. Would anything change if you replaced it with more straight segments that look like the letter H and tied the two resistors on the left to the left side of the H and likewise for the right side?

Remember, the convention is that, in a schematic circuit, any point on a straight line segment is at the same potential as any other point as long as there are no circuit elements, e.g. resistors, batteries, etc., in between.
Thanks for the reply!
Going through your suggestion, I think PA and PB are in parallel, and QA and QB are also in parallel. Solving them would lead to 2 ohm on each side of AB in series. And the equivalent resistance would be 4 ohm.
I got the answer! Thanks for the help.

Harsharma17
Did you spot any resistors that are in parallel?
Yes, now I able to separate them in parallel circuits.
Thanks for the reply!

Suggested for: How to solve this network of resistors for equivalent resistance?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies