How to Approach Solving a Nonlinear Second Order ODE with a Quadratic Term?

Safinaz
Homework Statement
How to solvebthis second-order ODE:
Relevant Equations
##
\frac{\partial^2 x}{ \partial t^2} + b \frac{\partial x}{ \partial t} + C x - D x^2 =0
##

Or:

##
\ddot{x} + b \dot{x} + C x - D x^2 =0
##
Where

## b, C, D ## are constants.
I know how to solve similar ODEs like

##
\frac{\partial^2 x}{ \partial t^2} + b \frac{\partial x}{ \partial t} + C x =0
##

Where one can let ## x = e^{rt}##, and the equation becomes
##
r^2 + b r + C =0
##

Which can be solved as a quadratic equation.

But now the problem is that there is ##x^2## term, so if one used that substitution, we left by:
##
r^2 + b r + C + D e^{rt} =0
##

So any help to find the solution of the ODE

Physics news on Phys.org
Safinaz said:
Where one can let x=ert, and the equation becomes
r2+br+C=0

Which can be solved as a quadratic equation.
You have got general solution of homogeneous differential equation. Then you have to find a particular solution to add that for inhomogeneous differential equation with x^2 term. Have you investigated x=constant ?

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
You have got homogeneous general solution. Then you have to find a special solution to add that. Have you investigated x=constant ?
The OP's equation is a non linear ODE?

erobz said:
My bad. Thanks. By choosing sign of constants, the equation is interpreted as oscillation of a body in a viscous medium with harmonic if D=0 and inharmonic with D potential. x = 0 is stable, x= C/D is unstable point for small oscillation around.

Likes erobz
Safinaz said:
##\frac{\partial^2 x}{ \partial t^2} + b \frac{\partial x}{ \partial t} + C x - D x^2 =0
##
Or:
##
\ddot{x} + b \dot{x} + C x - D x^2 =0
##
The second version of your DE, using the notation with dots, suggests that x is a function of t alone. In that case the first version of the DE should be written without partials.
Like so:
##\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} + B\frac{dx}{dt} + Cx - Dx^2 = 0##
Also, since C and D are uppercase, B should probably be uppercase as well.
erobz said:
Yes. I'm sure your question was rhetorical.

Likes erobz

1. How do I identify the type of second order ODE I am dealing with?

To identify the type of second order ODE, you can look at the coefficients of the highest order derivative term and the terms involving the dependent variable and its derivatives. Common types include linear, nonlinear, homogeneous, and nonhomogeneous second order ODEs.

2. What methods can I use to solve a second order ODE?

There are several methods to solve a second order ODE, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, Laplace transforms, power series, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

3. How do I find the particular solution to a second order ODE?

To find the particular solution to a second order ODE, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a solution that satisfies the differential equation and any initial conditions given.

4. What is the characteristic equation of a second order ODE?

The characteristic equation of a second order ODE is obtained by substituting y = e^(rt) into the differential equation, where r is a constant. This results in a quadratic equation in terms of r, which can be used to find the general solution to the ODE.

5. How do I apply boundary conditions to solve a second order ODE?

To apply boundary conditions to solve a second order ODE, you can substitute the conditions into the general solution obtained from solving the differential equation. This will allow you to find the constants of integration and determine the particular solution that satisfies both the ODE and the boundary conditions.