How to sterilize a pen and clipboard?

• Thread starter iwant2beoz
  • Start date
In summary, as a pizza delivery driver, you are concerned about spreading colds and flus through the pen and clip board used to sign credit card slips. The CDC recommends using disinfecting wipes to clean and remove or kill flu viruses. Pay attention to the directions and use multiple wipes to keep the surface wet for the recommended contact time. For more information, visit http://www.cdc.gov/flu/school/cleaning.htm.
iwant2beoz
Hi, so I am a pizza delivery driver and have to carry a pen and clip board so people can sign credit card slips. Is there a way I can sterilize them between customers so I'm not spreading colds and flus around?

Biology news on Phys.org
iwant2beoz said:
Hi, so I am a pizza delivery driver and have to carry a pen and clip board so people can sign credit card slips. Is there a way I can sterilize them between customers so I'm not spreading colds and flus around?
That's very thoughtful of you! Here's the recommendation from the CDC.

Flu viruses are relatively fragile, so standard cleaning and disinfecting practices are sufficient to remove or kill them.

Use disinfecting wipes on electronic items that are touched often, such as phones and computers. Pay close attention to the directions for using disinfecting wipes. It may be necessary to use more than one wipe to keep the surface wet for the stated length of contact time.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/school/cleaning.htm

Thank you, I will give that a try

1. How do I sterilize a pen and clipboard?

The most effective way to sterilize a pen and clipboard is by using rubbing alcohol or a disinfectant spray. Simply spray the surfaces of the pen and clipboard and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it off with a clean cloth. You can also use a disinfectant wipe to clean the surfaces.

2. Can I use hot water to sterilize a pen and clipboard?

While hot water can help remove dirt and debris from a pen and clipboard, it is not enough to completely sterilize them. Bacteria and viruses can still survive in hot water, so it is important to use a disinfectant solution to ensure proper sterilization.

3. How long does it take to sterilize a pen and clipboard?

This depends on the type of disinfectant used and the level of contamination on the pen and clipboard. Generally, it takes a few minutes for the disinfectant to effectively kill any bacteria or viruses. However, it is important to follow the instructions on the disinfectant product for the recommended time.

4. Can I use a microwave to sterilize a pen and clipboard?

No, it is not recommended to use a microwave to sterilize a pen and clipboard. Microwaves can damage both the pen and clipboard and may not effectively kill all bacteria and viruses. Stick to using disinfectant solutions for proper sterilization.

5. How often should I sterilize my pen and clipboard?

It is important to regularly sterilize your pen and clipboard, especially if they are shared among multiple people or used in a healthcare setting. It is recommended to sterilize them after each use or at least once a day to prevent the spread of germs and bacteria.