Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to store an audio voltage signal and recover it?

1. Dec 2, 2016 #1
    I am doing an experiment in which an audio voltage signal can be obtained and saved as .csv (or other formats) by oscilloscope. In a second step I want to recover it into audio voltage signal and input it into a loudspeaker. Then how can I do in the second step? Or how to transverse a .csv (or other formats) data into voltage signal again?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

To "capture" a signal, you must have an analog to digital converter and a bunch of other stuff). To convert it back to analog you will need a digital to analog converter (and a bunch of other stuff). It's pretty complicated. In saying "an audio voltage signal can be obtained and saved as .csv" you are condensing a LOT of stuff.

4. Dec 2, 2016 #3

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

There are many file format converters that can change your data from CSV format to WAV or MP3 or others. Then you can use any music player on the converted file.

Here is one such program. http://www.online-convert.com/file-type

5. Dec 2, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Cool. I didn't know that.

6. Dec 2, 2016 #5
    I have converted a .csv document into .mp3, however, it just plays the name of every number in the .csv. For example, a number "1000" will be heard in a voice of "one hundred". It can't identify which is the time and which is the amplitude of the waveform.

7. Dec 2, 2016 #6

NascentOxygen

What are the other formats it can save to? One of them may be more amenable.

8. Dec 3, 2016 #7
    It can also save to binary format (.bin), or some figure formats such as .bmp, .png. I will try later.

9. Dec 3, 2016 #8

anorlunda

That sounds very strange. How exactly did you convert it?

Edit: An how exactly did you play it to listen?

10. Dec 3, 2016 #9
    I uploaded my csv file into the website "http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3", converted it into mp3 online and downloaded the mp3 file and played it with windows media. By comparing the contents of sound with the original csv file (opened by office Excel), I found they are the same. I mean the voice is not a sound wave varying with the time (I saved a sound wave into a csv file using oscilloscope), but the data itself.

11. Dec 3, 2016 #10

anorlunda

It seems that you got a text-to-speech conversion instead of a file format conversion. You should try again, paying close attention to options and the small print on the Web page. Or try another conversion site such as the one I linked in #5.

12. Dec 3, 2016 #11
    Have you ever succeeded in converting a csv file into an audio file with that website?

13. Dec 3, 2016 #12

anorlunda

I am willing to help you, but I have no sample file. I'll send you my email address by personal message, lookin your INBOX on PF.

14. Apr 25, 2017 #13
    How to store ? the better is copy to computer , as for recovery tool , it depends on your version, different version for different operating mode or tools

15. Apr 27, 2017 #14
    That i have been search on Google, it it works with Android ,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted