How to convert Audio output jack signal to 5V range?

In summary, an amplifier can be used to boost the signal from a 3.5mm jack to a voltage that can be used to drive speakers.
midhunkumar
Hi Guys,

Can Some one Help me to Figure Out how can i Convert Voice Signal from 3.5mm Jack to Voltage.
Though the voice signal has low signal strength can i boost it using amplifer and to get output in Voltage what is the Process i am not figuring out the perfect way. Sugest me your Option.

Waiting For Replay and Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
midhunkumar said:
Hi Guys,

Can Some one Help me to Figure Out how can i Convert Voice Signal from 3.5mm Jack to Voltage.
Though the voice signal has low signal strength can i boost it using amplifer and to get output in Voltage what is the Process i am not figuring out the perfect way. Sugest me your Option.

Waiting For Replay and Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Is this from a laptop? Can you just use a small external powered speaker to amplify the signal?

midhunkumar said:
how can i Convert Voice Signal from 3.5mm Jack to Voltage.
Any audio amplifier rated over 7 W should be able to do it.

midhunkumar said:
Hi Guys, Can Some one Help me to Figure Out how can i Convert Voice Signal from 3.5mm Jack to Voltage. Though the voice signal has low signal strength can i boost it using amplifer and to get output in Voltage what is the Process i am not figuring out the perfect way. Sugest me your Option.
It depends on what you have and what you want to do, which you have not specified in detail. I don't know what you mean by "Voice Signal from 3.5mm Jack"... is the signal coming (1) directly from a microphone or (2) from a line out connection? And where do you want the signal to go? To (1) speakers, (2) headphones or (3) a line in connection?

EDIT: Sorry, I missed reading the title, "How to convert Audio output jack signal to 5V range?". Do you mean you have a line level audio output (ca ±0.5 to ±1.5 V) which you want to amplify to ±5 V?

Last edited:
Likes davenn
DennisN said:
EDIT: Sorry, I missed reading the title, "How to convert Audio output jack signal to 5V range?". Do you mean you have a line level audio output (ca ±0.5 to ±1.5 V) which you want to amplify to ±5 V?

yet another poorly worded OP aye ?it has been assumed the OP was referring to a headphone output ... but who knows ?
he may well mean line out ? Berkeman's and Dale's responses are suitable for either option

Dave

midhunkumar said:

DennisN said:
It depends on what you have and what you want to do, which you have not specified in detail.

Indeed, we don't know if he's after a boom box or an interface to FFT spectrum analyzer.

Yes an amplifier seems intuitive.
Take a look at LM386 audio amplifier . It works from a 9 volt battery and requires very few parts
Here's a hobbyist level tutorial
http://www.instructables.com/id/Know-Your-IC-LM386/

their datasheet link doesn't work, try this one
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/839826.pdf

I don't often make this suggestion but why not go into Maplin's (other retailers are available) and ask one of their staff for something to do the job? They are a very keen bunch and (Maplins) will not try to charge you over much for the solution. If you take any documentation you have, in with you to the shop, they have a better chance of giving you want you need.

Thanks For Replay the Original Voice Signal mentioned is taken from SIP Based Device(Zycoo I20 Speaker) which gives human vioce signal from Telephone.

It already has 5V audio output, it directly drives a speaker with the built-in amplifier. Model C20 has 3.5W output, B20 has 10W output.
See their website.
http://zycoo.com/html/SIP_Speaker.html

I have checked that device their is one separate port which gives 5Volt from Device Continuous but i need voltage only when their is Present of Audio Output.
My basic need is Pontantial Free contact and Audio Output From device but i have not found any device which gives audio output and Pontatial Free Contact. So i am Triying to get 5 volt so that i will get Potantial Free contact from Reay Out

1. How do I convert audio output jack signal to 5V range?

The easiest way to convert audio output jack signal to 5V range is by using a voltage divider circuit. This circuit uses resistors to divide the voltage and bring it down to the desired range. You can also use an op-amp circuit or a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) for more precise conversion.

2. Can I use a voltage regulator to convert audio output jack signal to 5V range?

Yes, you can use a voltage regulator for this purpose. However, it is not recommended as it can introduce noise and distortion to the signal. It is better to use a circuit specifically designed for audio signal conversion.

3. What is the maximum current output of a 5V audio signal converter?

The maximum current output of a 5V audio signal converter depends on the specific circuit or device being used. It is important to check the specifications of the converter to ensure that it can provide enough current for your application.

4. Is it possible to convert a stereo audio signal to 5V range?

Yes, it is possible to convert a stereo audio signal to 5V range. You can use a dual op-amp circuit or a stereo DAC to convert the left and right channels separately. Alternatively, you can use a single converter and combine the two channels using a summing amplifier.

5. Do I need any special tools or equipment to convert audio output jack signal to 5V range?

You will need some basic electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and op-amps if you are building a voltage divider or op-amp circuit. If you are using a ready-made converter or DAC, you will only need power and audio cables. Having a multimeter to measure voltages and currents can also be helpful during the conversion process.