How to strenghten your preparation?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Esquer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Preparation
In summary, the person is about to finish their master's degree and start their PhD, but they are worried about their knowledge and want to review the fundamentals. They ask for suggestions on what a physicist must absolutely know and how to review the basics. Someone suggests working with the Fenyman Lectures and retaking undergraduate courses, which the person agrees with and plans to do small exercises to keep themselves trained.
Esquer
Hello everyone! I am about to finish my master degree and to start my PhD and I am very excited about it! There is something, though, that worries me a bit: sometimes I feel I don't have very good and solid basis. May be due to forgetfulness with time or due to a bad study when I was younger and unfortunately a bit irresponsible, but on some subject I feel a bit insecure. I would like, somehow, to review the fundamentals and keep myself trained in order to not forget the most important things.
From these thoughts came my two questions:
Which are for you the things that a physicst must absoulutely know? And what do you suggest for reviewing the basis?
Thank you everyone for the answer

Physics news on Phys.org
hello there. I think that one of the basic things to a physicist is Mathematics so one should have a solid background. Now, when you say "review the fundamentals" and "most important things" I guess it really depends on the field of your PhD really. Physics is about so many things and fields and each one, has fundamentals of its own. So, you should review certain basic knowledge that has to do with your topic.
So, what is your Master about?

I focused my studies most on atomic and solid state physics. And in the end I will work mainly on superconductivity.

Esquer said:
Hello everyone! I am about to finish my master degree and to start my PhD and I am very excited about it! There is something, though, that worries me a bit: sometimes I feel I don't have very good and solid basis. May be due to forgetfulness with time or due to a bad study when I was younger and unfortunately a bit irresponsible, but on some subject I feel a bit insecure. I would like, somehow, to review the fundamentals and keep myself trained in order to not forget the most important things.
From these thoughts came my two questions:
Which are for you the things that a physicst must absoulutely know? And what do you suggest for reviewing the basis?
Thank you everyone for the answer
Why you need to ask the question if you are finishing a master's degree in the subject?

Because I will be defending my master thesis in one month and starting my phd in 2 (January 2017). So I actually finished the "studying" part, meaning that I don't have any more class to attend.

That's a pretty broad question. It's not a short list.

My approach was to work with the Fenyman Lectures and re-take undergrad courses in Quantum Mechanics, Stat Mech, Classical Mechanics, and E&M. It worked, I passed the MIT PhD qualifying exams.

Likes Stella.Physics
Dr. Courtney said:

My approach was to work with the Fenyman Lectures and re-take undergrad courses in Quantum Mechanics, Stat Mech, Classical Mechanics, and E&M. It worked, I passed the MIT PhD qualifying exams.

Never underestimate how much more you learn and how well you really master the material when you take (more or less) the same course, especially with a different professor. Everything moves in slow motion and you finally get it - I mean really get it.

Likes Fervent Freyja, Esquer, symbolipoint and 1 other person
Dr. Courtney said:

Thank you! I think I will follow your approach, trying to keep myself trained doing small exercise (like the ones of the GRE) from time to time

1. How can I improve my study habits to strengthen my preparation?

To improve your study habits, start by creating a study schedule and sticking to it. Set specific goals for each study session and use active learning techniques such as summarizing, note-taking, and self-quizzing. Also, try to eliminate distractions and find a quiet, comfortable study space.

2. What are some effective ways to retain information and strengthen my preparation?

To retain information, try to understand the material rather than just memorizing it. Connect new information to things you already know and use visual aids, such as diagrams or flashcards, to help you remember. Additionally, practice retrieving information from memory by regularly testing yourself.

3. How can I balance my workload and strengthen my preparation for multiple exams?

To balance your workload, prioritize your exams and create a study plan that allocates enough time for each subject. Make sure to take breaks and give yourself time to rest and recharge. Also, try to study in blocks rather than cramming everything in at the last minute.

4. What role does sleep play in strengthening my preparation?

Sleep is crucial for strengthening your preparation. It allows your brain to consolidate and process the information you have learned, making it easier to recall later. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night, and avoid studying right before bed as it can interfere with your sleep quality.

5. How can I stay motivated and focused while preparing for exams?

To stay motivated and focused, remind yourself of your goals and why you are studying. Break down your goals into smaller, achievable tasks and reward yourself when you complete them. Additionally, surround yourself with a supportive study group or find a study buddy to help keep you accountable.