How to study a particle with several features?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the state vector in quantum mechanics and how it represents the properties of a system. Usually, textbooks only discuss systems with a single feature, such as electron spin. However, if one is interested in multiple features, such as electron spin and position, the state vector would need to contain information about both. This can be achieved by considering a tensor product of the individual state spaces. The resulting product space would have a dimension equal to the sum of the dimensions of the individual spaces. The conversation also mentions a book by Greiner that discusses this topic in more detail.
Tio Barnabe
Usually textbooks on QM deals with systems with a single feature. For example, we could analyse electron spin. In such case the state vector is a (function?) only of the corresponding "spin variable" for spin, etc...
But suppose I'm interested in say, study about electron spin and also its position. In such a case, the state vector would need to contain information of both spin and position, correct?
How can we proceed in this case? Should we consider spin part as being in a space while position part in another? And make the (appropriate, according to the rules) product between these spaces? If the answer is, yes, I have the following question: What would be the dimension of the resulting product space?

For instance, the electron spin space would be 2 dimensional, while the position space would be 3 dimensional. Would the dimension of the resulting product space be 5?

Also, based on my questions above, if someone could indicate me some good lectures on web about the related math of the Hilbert space, such that I could finely understand how to mathematically describe what I asked, I will appreciate.

I have found excellent books about Hilbert Space in the uni library, but unfortunately none of them deals with the situation above, i.e. the rules, algebra, etc, when we have to consider product spaces.

Physics news on Phys.org
In QM electron can be in superposition of positions and this superposition is not some other new position but rather part of probability amplitude here and part of probability amplitude there. So position space is infinite dimensional i.e. for each position it's own dimension. For spin it's only three dimensions as superposition of spin states is new spin state in certain direction.

Likes Tio Barnabe
Oh, yes. I realized that! The components of a state vector can even be written as the probability amplitude for the state to be in each of the positions, if I remember well... As there are infinite possible positions, the space is infinite dimensional.

I'd like to receive a answer for my other questions, though.

Yes, you can build up the full Hilbert space by considering a direct sum the tensor product of a Hilbert space for position/momentum, a Hilbert space for spin, etc. You do the same when considering more than one particle.

I don't know of any online resource, but if your library has a copy of Greiner's Quantum Mechanics - An Introduction, it has a good chapter on the subject.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Thanks dr Claude
DrClaude said:
Greiner's Quantum Mechanics - An Introduction, it has a good chapter on the subject.
do you know what chapter is that?

DrClaude said:
Yes, you can build up the full Hilbert space by considering a direct sum of a Hilbert space for position/momentum, a Hilbert space for spin, etc.
No, not a direct sum!

One needs a tensor product of the position Hilbert space and the spin Hilbert space. This means that wave functions are functions of the position coordinate and the spin index.

Likes vanhees71
A. Neumaier said:
No, not a direct sum!
You are right, of course.

Tio Barnabe said:
do you know what chapter is that?
Chapter 16

Have you seen examples that consider the joint state of, say, particle 1's spin and particle 2's spin? Their joint state comes from the tensor products of the individual state spaces in exactly the same way as the first particle's spin and any other commuting observable.

1. How do I identify the features of a particle?

To identify the features of a particle, you can use various techniques such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and imaging methods. These methods can provide information about the size, shape, composition, and other physical and chemical properties of the particle.

2. What is the best method to study a particle with multiple features?

The best method to study a particle with multiple features depends on the specific features you want to analyze. For example, if you want to study the size and shape of a particle, microscopy techniques such as scanning electron microscopy or atomic force microscopy would be suitable. If you want to analyze the chemical composition, spectroscopy techniques such as Raman spectroscopy or X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy would be more appropriate.

3. How can I determine the structure of a particle with several features?

Determining the structure of a particle with several features can be achieved through various methods such as X-ray diffraction, transmission electron microscopy, or nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. These techniques can provide information about the arrangement of atoms and molecules within the particle.

4. Is it possible to study the behavior of a particle with multiple features?

Yes, it is possible to study the behavior of a particle with multiple features. This can be done by observing the particle under different environmental conditions, such as varying temperature, pressure, or pH. Additionally, techniques such as dynamic light scattering or fluorescence microscopy can provide information about the movement and interactions of particles with multiple features.

5. Can I use computational methods to study particles with several features?

Yes, computational methods such as molecular dynamics simulations and density functional theory calculations can be used to study particles with multiple features. These methods can provide detailed information about the behavior and properties of particles at the atomic and molecular level.