How to study at uni? as in manage time/work.

• Thread starter alias25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study Uni
In summary, I think I am drowning because I just don't seem to have time to read through all the notes given by lecturers, they speed through in lectures, 6 modules, (although computing and lab isn't too bad). But Planet Earth module has tonnes and tonnes for each lecture.??! and for cosolmology there's no given notes...just lecture slides and we have to take notes (personally i don't think it's enough, seems like we've hardly done anything compared to the other modules). I wanted to do some extra excercises from textbook, but I don't have time for that though.
alias25
basically i think I am drowning...i just don't seem to have time to read through all the notes given by lecturers, they speed through in lectures, 6 modules, (although computing and lab isn't too bad). But Planet Earth module has tonnes and tonnes for each lecture.??! and for cosolmology there's no given notes...just lecture slides and we have to take notes (personally i don't think it's enough, seems like we've hardly done anything compared to the other modules). I wanted to do some extra excercises from textbook, i don't have time for that though.
should i just go along with it...just go to the lectures take notes(try and understand), and leave it unitill a week or so before exams?

how do i organise, how do you/did you organise your time, work etc?
help?
thanks, bel

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a similar problems. They way how I try to deal with it is to make a timetable and try to follow is as colsely as possible. Yes I admit that its impossible for me to stick to it exactly, but I do try to be as close as possible. And my lectures are similar to yours. Mostly modules and powerpoint presentations. I take notes like hell - sometimes like 10 pages per class. Then when I'm on a break or at home, i try to organize my notes (and my thoughts) with assistance from the textbook and online resources. A study group will also help a lot (for the high volume of notes).
Theres not much you can do, just take it as it comes and play along. You'll have to scarifice certain things to make extra time.

10 pages per class?? Maybe you're spending too much of your attention writing notes instead of focusing on what was said. I take at most 2 pages of notes per lecture (1 hour each) and it seems like more than enough.

eep said:
10 pages per class?? Maybe you're spending too much of your attention writing notes instead of focusing on what was said. I take at most 2 pages of notes per lecture (1 hour each) and it seems like more than enough.

Yeah, true. I'd say 3-4 pages should be the absolute maximum for one hour.

In fact, if the course comes with a textbook, I don't even write notes at all. I just sit back and listen. I write notes later while reading the textbook. It's more organized that way.

Studying? What on Earth is that? :pj/k. I study LOTS. Sometimes it can seem overwhelming but you will adapt.

Yeah, by 2 pages I meant front and back. I find it important to take notes directly from lecture, especially now in my upper-division classes, because some of my teachers hardly follow the book at all. I guess my best advice is to start everything early. Reading the textbook before lecture can help make the lectures much more useful, and starting homework on monday when it's due on friday gives you a chance to get help if you need it. Also, don't try and memorize absolutely everything. Try and remember only what is absolutely necessary, and then you can derive everything else as needed. I find that trying to derive the formula on my own allows me to actually remember them, or acquire them very quickly.

alias25 said:
basically i think I am drowning...i just don't seem to have time to read through all the notes given by lecturers, they speed through in lectures, 6 modules, (although computing and lab isn't too bad). But Planet Earth module has tonnes and tonnes for each lecture.??! and for cosolmology there's no given notes...just lecture slides and we have to take notes (personally i don't think it's enough, seems like we've hardly done anything compared to the other modules). I wanted to do some extra excercises from textbook, i don't have time for that though.
should i just go along with it...just go to the lectures take notes(try and understand), and leave it unitill a week or so before exams?

how do i organise, how do you/did you organise your time, work etc?
help?
thanks, bel

I have the exact same problem.:frown:

And by 10 pages I mean front and back (3.5 hrs lecture) :biggrin:

Related to How to study at uni? as in manage time/work.

1. How do I manage my time effectively while studying at university?

Time management is essential for success at university. Some tips to manage your time effectively include creating a schedule or to-do list, setting realistic goals, prioritizing tasks, and avoiding procrastination. It is also important to take breaks and make time for self-care.

2. How can I balance studying with other commitments, such as work or extracurriculars?

Balancing multiple commitments can be challenging, but it is possible with proper time management. It is crucial to prioritize tasks and make a schedule that includes time for studying, work, and other commitments. Communication with professors and employers can also help in managing your workload.

3. What are some effective study techniques for university?

Effective study techniques vary for each individual, but some commonly recommended methods include creating study guides, practicing active learning, taking notes, using flashcards, and participating in study groups. Experiment with different techniques to find what works best for you.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying at university?

Staying motivated can be challenging, especially during long semesters or when facing difficult coursework. Some ways to stay motivated include setting short-term and long-term goals, rewarding yourself for completing tasks, studying in a productive environment, and seeking support from peers or professors.

5. What resources are available for managing time and workload at university?

Many universities offer resources to help students manage their time and workload. Some common resources include academic advisors, tutoring services, study skills workshops, and time management apps. It is also helpful to utilize the resources provided by your professors, such as office hours or study guides.