How to synthesize hydrophobic CaCo3

• Thread starter Wolfdoge
  • Start date
In summary, this paper looks into the idea of using additives and surface templates to increase the mineralization of calcium carbonate.
Wolfdoge
Hi, I'm new in this forum and I would like to salute everyone in here
I'm currently trying to synthesize hydrophobic CaCo3 particles in a wood sample, so it fills the wood cells and cover it's surface. In order to achieve this, I try to simulate a biomineralization process using an organic substrate in a methanol solution, for the synthesized CaCo3 particles to be hydrophobic.
The organic substrate used is Oleic Acid
The process is the follow:
The wood sample is submerged in 1M Na2CO3 solution for 24h. Oleic Acid is mixed with a Methanol Solution then added to 1M CaCl2 solution, the wood sample is removed and puto into the CaCl2 solution for 24h.
The wood sample is washed with distiled water and ethanol several times, then dried in an oven for 24 hours.
Even though I can clearly see the CaCo3 particles in the wood, the surface doesn't seem to be hydrophobic, as it still absorbs water. I can't really tell what is wrong with the cristalization process, perhaps I could add stir in the wood submersion, because when the methanol-oleic acid solution is added to CaCl2 solution an organic phase is formed, thus the a portion of the wood sample remains in each phase.
I'm currently out of ideas, any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Beware - CaCO3 and CaCo3 are two different things. As far as I am aware the latter doesn't exist, no wonder you have problems making it :-p

CapnGranite said:
Preparation of Hydrophobic CaCO3-wood Composite
www.paper.edu.cn/download/downPaper/201003-921

Are you trying a variation of their process?
Exactly, i couldn't get dodecanoic acid in my country so i tried using oleic acid.

Borek said:
Beware - CaCO3 and CaCo3 are two different things. As far as I am aware the latter doesn't exist, no wonder you have problems making it :-p
Hahahah just a little typo :p

From little typos mighty explosions may grow

Likes jim mcnamara
Molecular insight into the nanoconfined calcite–solution interface
http://www.pnas.org/content/113/43/12047.full.pdf

Your thread caught my attention because of biomineralization of CaCO3. While I know nothing about creating composite material, this paper might provide some in sights and possibilities of using silica in the system. This might decrease the hydrophilic surface of the calcite.

CapnGranite said:
Molecular insight into the nanoconfined calcite–solution interface
http://www.pnas.org/content/113/43/12047.full.pdf

Your thread caught my attention because of biomineralization of CaCO3. While I know nothing about creating composite material, this paper might provide some in sights and possibilities of using silica in the system. This might decrease the hydrophilic surface of the calcite.
That's a pretty interesting document, I'll see if I can use it on my project.
Thank you very much!

Try this one: Mechanistic approach to predict the combined effects of additives and surface templates on calcium carbonate mineralization. Crystal Growth&Design, DOI: 10.1021/acs.cgd.6b00514, 2016.

Likes CapnGranite

1. What is the process of synthesizing hydrophobic CaCo3?

The process of synthesizing hydrophobic CaCo3 involves several steps. First, calcium carbonate (CaCo3) is dissolved in a solution of a fatty acid such as stearic acid. This is then followed by agitation and heating to promote the formation of a hydrophobic coating on the CaCo3 particles. The resulting product is then washed and dried to remove any excess fatty acid.

2. Why is it important to synthesize hydrophobic CaCo3?

Synthesizing hydrophobic CaCo3 is important because it allows the CaCo3 particles to repel water, making them more suitable for use in hydrophobic coatings and materials. This can improve the durability and performance of these materials, as well as provide other benefits such as increased water resistance.

3. What materials are needed to synthesize hydrophobic CaCo3?

The materials needed to synthesize hydrophobic CaCo3 include calcium carbonate, a fatty acid (such as stearic acid), a solvent (such as ethanol or water), and equipment for agitation and heating. Other materials may also be required depending on the specific method used for synthesis.

4. What are the potential applications of hydrophobic CaCo3?

Hydrophobic CaCo3 has a wide range of potential applications. It can be used in the production of hydrophobic coatings for various materials, such as plastics, textiles, and paper. It can also be used as a filler in rubber and plastic products to improve their water resistance. Additionally, hydrophobic CaCo3 has potential uses in the fields of medicine, cosmetics, and agriculture.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with hydrophobic CaCo3?

Yes, there are some safety considerations when working with hydrophobic CaCo3. This substance may cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system, so proper personal protective equipment (PPE) should be worn when handling it. Additionally, caution should be taken when working with hot solutions and using equipment such as heating devices. It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines when handling hydrophobic CaCo3.